1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Diablosport - TCM/Tranny Support?

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by GMClone, Apr 8, 2012.

1. GMClone

GMClone New Member

Hey all- I am thinking about getting a tuner for my '05 Sierra, most likely a Diablosport Predator. I don't believe the In-Tune works for my '05, and I don't feel that I need all the bells and whistles of the Trinity display. I would rather get a Predator for half the price and use some of that savings for a custom tune. I have two main questions, mainly directed at 06Monte but anyone please chime in!

1. One of the main reasons I see urging people to get a Trinity or In-Tune instead of a Predator is "TCM/Tranny support" What exactly is that? Looking at the list of adjustable parameters with the Predator on the Diablosport website, it includes things like shift points, shift timing, shift pressure... I guess I must be missing something as I don't understand what else the "TCM/Tranny support" includes. BTW, my main reason for buying a programmer is for increased mpg, it would be nice to have a little extra power in my back pocket when I want it, but it's not like I'm going to the dragstrip needing to slam through the gears for a 1/4 mile run or anything like that.

2. If I get the cheaper Predator I will be more likely to spend a little $ on a custom tune, probably with 06Monte based on all the positive reviews here. It is my understanding that even stock trucks benefit from a custom tune over pre-loaded because every truck is different, hence the data logging that needs to be done. In addition, I have a K&N CAI so I would see even more benefit from a custom tune, correct? The only other performance-related mod I can see myself doing would be exhaust, but I doubt I would be doing a full cat-back or header system, just a bolt-on muffler. I guess that's not really a question, just a statement of my intentions...

Thanks in advance!
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

1) Tune wise, the Predator and Trinity have the same 'stock' (DiabloSport) tunes in them... except for the fact that the Trinity has received TCM/tranny updates and is, as a result, able to make changes to the transmission settings -- whereas the Predator can't. This is likely most relevant to you if you're re-gearing or wanting to tweak how your ride shifts. Also, as I understand it there are a couple more parameters available in the Trinity's tune file format that aren't available in the Predator. Personally, neither was compelling enough for me to spend the dough on the Trinity.

2) Lew will need a list of your mods if he's tuning and a CAI is one of the ones he'll care about. CAI's make the most difference at WOT, by the way ... so don't expect miracles from one.
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

I believe that the Predator is being phased out. I think the inTune is replacing it.
  4. SurrealOne

Unless something has changed, recently, this is true only for 07 and newer trucks at the moment. Those of us with older trucks can't get/usethe InTune, yet...
  5. GMClone

GMClone New Member

Yeah, I saw that on the diablosport website. If '05s were supported by inTune I'd consider it, so I'd know it would work on my next truck in a few years. But for now I'm just going to go with the Predator since it's so cheap, knowing that the stock tunes are the same and I can use the extra money to get a custom tune from Lew.

I'm still not sure about the Tranny controls though, because Diablosport's website clearly says the Predator can control shift points, firmness, and pressure... Looking through some of their support forum threads I saw tranny controls were getting to be a sore subject with some people back before the Trinity came out.
  6. SurrealOne

It could be a question of whether WE can modify the shift points. (Tuners like Lew can do a lot more than we can using the software they've purchased.) I know for a fact Lew tweaked my shift points ... but I don't know precisely what he did.
  7. GMClone

GMClone New Member

That makes sense. At this point I'm not sure how much I want to mess with my transmission anyways. I don't want to do anything to risk the longevity of my transmission just to get a little "second gear scratch"... If I get a custom tune from Lew I'll probably discuss the tranny options in more detail at that time. Thanks for your feedback SurrealOne.
  8. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS New Member

Hey there...

#1 - your 2005 truck has a single pcm (powertrain control module), which controls both the engine and the transmission... so a predator will have tcm/tranny support for your truck, since it is all in a single pcm... newer trucks (2007+) have a separate ECM (engine control module) and TCM (transmission control module) for the different engine and tranny programming... the predators do not communicate with the separate TCM module, only the ECM.. hence why newer truck owners would want to get the Trinity programming instead, since the trinity does have "tcm support" and can tune the tranny settings like shift firmness, shift quickness, shift points, etc etc...

so for your 2005, no need to worry... yours is supported in both the predator and the trinity... and no, the intune does not support the older class2 vehicles yet (pre-2007)....

#2 - yes, I can definitely get you hooked up with a custom tune for your truck, whenever you're ready man ;-) yes, you do gain much more even on a mostly stock vehicle...

absolute hp/tq gains are hard to predict... every vehicle is different... even if they're the same and have similar mods... location/weather, fuel used, elevation/altitude, etc etc all play a role... the same holds true for mileage gains - those variables, plus driving habits/style, highway/city, etc all make a difference.... you could gain no mpg increase, or you could gain up to about 3 mpg increase... tough to say due to the variables in play...

I have gained people anywhere from 15-39hp, and 12-23lb. ft. torque... again, obviously mods, fuel used, reasons given above, etc all played a role in who gained what...

I CAN tell you that you will have a very noticable performance difference/gain over and above the canned preset diablo tunes as well as stock...

With the custom tune, you'll gain even better/quicker throttle response & acceleration, stronger/harder pull, smoother & quicker power delivery throughout the rpms, etc...

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

yes, see my post above! your tranny settings are supported by the predator, since you have a single pcm module for both engine and tranny, not a separate ecm and tcm modules like newer trucks...

no worries, you have full support for your truck with it... ;-)

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

the predator and trinity both have full support for your 2005 truck's tranny... just like Surreal does for his 2004...
  9. SurrealOne

[MENTION=32828]06MonteSS[/MENTION]:
    Thanks Lew. I didn't know that about the pcm in our trucks, so I found your response informative even though I wasn't the target audience.

Now when are you going to finish the tune that gets me an extra 50mpg? Hmm? You can work miracles, right?!
  10. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS New Member

hahahaha.. you funny guy... lol