Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Diablosport - TCM/Tranny Support?

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by GMClone, Apr 8, 2012.

1. GMClone

GMClone Rockstar

Thanks for the thorough response Lew, I appreciate it. That makes sense about the separate control modules in 07+ vehicles. While I say I'd like to get a little better mileage, I know I'll enjoy a little more power as well... though maybe I should wait until you've perfected that 50mpg tune for Surreal? :)

I'll read up on the info on your site, and be in touch later about the custom tune. Thanks.

2. GMClone

GMClone Rockstar

Ordered my Predator, just want to give a quick shout out to marylandspeed.com, which I saw Lew mention in another thread as the best price for Predators. Monday night I called Autoanything.com for a price match because I had ordered from them in the past. They gave me the price match (beat it by $1), said it was in stock and would ship today (Tuesday), and estimated 3-4 days shipping from Florida to Iowa. Then today I get an email saying shipping was delayed one week :grrrrrr:. So I cancelled that order and ordered online from marylandspeed at noon. I just got an email with my UPS tracking number with estimated delivery of Thursday. Should've ordered from marylandspeed in the first place, now I'll have my new toy this weekend!

3. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

sweet! good deal man, congrats! ;)

4. GMClone

GMClone Rockstar

Thanks! I’m still planning to get the Diablewtune, just want to spend a couple weeks messing around with the canned tunes so I can have a baseline comparison. I normally run 89 octane with 10% Ethanol (it’s cheaper than 87 octane here in corn country) so I want to try the 87 octane tune first, then I’ll fill up with 91 and try the performance tune for comparison. I saw somewhere that you need to drive about 100 miles for the ECU to adjust to a new tune. So if I just run one tank on each tune, and get about 300 miles in 1-2 weeks, will that be sufficient to give me a good comparison? Should I expect noticeable performance or mileage differences between the two tunes?

I assume that when you do a Diablewtune, you tailor it towards the type of fuel that would be used, like the canned tunes (87 or 91/93). I further assume that you prefer the data logging to be done using whichever fuel type and canned tune is to be used in the Diablewtune. Am I correct in my assumptions, do you have anything to add? As I mentioned earlier, my main goal is increased overall efficiency – smoother running, better gas mileage, but I’ll definitely enjoy a little more oomph when I get on it. I assume at some point if you’re squeezing every bit of performance out of your engine, you’re sacrificing the longevity in some way. All that said, do you have any thoughts on which octane tune I should be running? I’m guessing the 91/93 performance tune will not increase efficiency enough to offset the extra cost of that fuel, but I haven’t done the math so I’d appreciate any thoughts you have on the subject. Sorry for the long-winded post, thanks in advance for any feedback.

5. 06MonteSS

yeah man, take your time, get used to using it, how it works, etc... will save us both headaches later hahaha...

you also bought the pc interface kit for it right?? you need that...

yes, whenever you flash the ecm, the learned items, like idle, emissions readiness tests, fueltrims, etc all get reset... so it takes time/mileage for everything to get re-learned by the ecm and settle in again...

you should notice more/better performance with the Diablo Tune (that's the 91+ octane tune), since it has more advanced timing for higher octane gas... make sure you use GOOD gas too! mobil, exxon, sunoco, amoco, bp, chevron all tend to do well... don't ever use Shell, mom-n-pop store stations, etc - they're crap. as for mileage, some people get better mileage with the higher octane gas, since its more efficient than lower octane - lower octane gas burns faster - so it doesn't really burn all the fuel during combustion... higher octane fuel burns slower - so you get a more efficient complete burn/energy from the same amount of fuel... so, compare the two and see what'cha get ;)

yes, I make the tune for whatever octane fuel you use... if you run 89 octane gas, then install the 87 octane tune to the truck... if you're going to use 91+ octane in the truck all the time, then install the Diablo Tune... then you'd get me the "last tune written" file from the predator, so that I have a copy of whicher octane tune you had installed...

and yes, when you do the data logging, you want to do it with the tune installed.

and you're not really sacrificing longevity - your engine will actually be running better, more efficiently... and me personally, I would use 91 octane gas/tune...

6. GMClone

GMClone Rockstar

Thanks for the thorough response! I ordered the USB interface, so should be good to go.

7. GMClone

GMClone Rockstar

Just finished up my first week, playing with the 87 octane tune. I had a normal week of driving, 75% city 25% highway, and the DIC has been hovering around 15.8-15.9 mpg avg. Before tune I was right around 14.2-14.4 with the same driving mix, this was a very long-term average, I hadn't reset the DIC in months. I will check the mpg manually when I fill up. I can't say I've seen a power increase, it almost feel like it struggles more in the low end, until it gets over 3000-3500 rpm. I actually timed a 0-60 run before tuning (9.6s best of 2) and after running the tune for a few days (9.9s best of 2). The runs were made in the same location, same time/temp, using the Torque Android App, which plugs into the OBD with a bluetooth module and reads speed from ECU or GPS and starts timing automatically when I punch it. Anyways, I'm happy with the mileage increase as a start, I know it will only get better with either Diablotune and eventually Diablewtune!

I logged on Thursday night, ended up being only 5 minutes because I wasn't sure if I should pick "fast" or "slow" data collection... apparently I should pick slow when doing a 20 minute log for Diablewtuning. I still plugged it in to DSLogRedux and it said reduce my injector slope -6%. So I did that last night, will drive around a bit and re-log today to check it before I fill up with 91 octane and switch to Diablotune. I noticed the U7193 does not log Air/Fuel, so because of that I can't do WOT logs? Is that going to be a limiting factor in my custom tune? I found I can log the same data with the aforementioned Torque app, and it lets me select AFR but no data shows up...

Lew, the logging questions are directed at you obviously. I assume you will see this new post... TIA

8. 06MonteSS

you want to select the FAST rate.... yeah, your older trucks' pcm does not report the AFR/Equivalence ratio, so that's why it's not on the predator logging and why no data shows up with your torque app... doesn't have it.. and no, it won't affect your custom tune, I know where to set it ;)

9. GMClone

GMClone Rockstar

I've been running the Diablotune with 91 octane for a week now, averaged about 17.5 mpg with probably 75/25 hwy/city mix. Pretty happy with that so far... I took a datalog last night but I hit unexpected traffic and didn't get quite as much 2000 rpm cruising as I would've liked. DSLogRedux told me to bump my injector slope +1 or so, but I'm going to try to get a better log file and check it again first. If I get the same results, I'll make the adjustments and check it again. I stumbled across a thread about E85 on the Diablosport forums, and the consensus seemed to be that it runs like a bat outta hell with the diablotune, but mileage sucks. I ran E85 for a few weeks after I first got the truck and the mileage did suck, but it's so cheap... Any thoughts on E85 with a diablotune Lew? (or anybody)? I'm almost out of gas so I'm tempted to try it, just to see what the performance is like and get my own mileage reading so I can do the math on $/mile, as E85 is really cheap and easy to find here in the great corn state...

10. 06MonteSS

yeah, e85 kills mileage... and think about it, it's not really that much cheaper - because now you have to fill up more often ;) if you want to run e85, then I would suggest getting a custom tune done for it, since the diablo tunes and my custom tunes are made for regular gas.... e85 has different properties... contact andy@dynotuneusa.com - he does custom e85 tunes for the diablo programmers - he's an e85 tune guru... ;)