1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

DIC equations

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Kolaz, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Kolaz

Kolaz New Member

Can anyone tell me exactly how the average MPG is calculated one the DIC?

2. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses:Glad to have you here! I'm not sure, but someone maybe able to help you out! This is a new post, so as soon as members start looking at it, you should get a reply fast!

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the club!

Honestly I don't think that the DIC really works all that well, my last truck I know it was way off but I think it has to do with running conditions of the vehicle.

4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I haven't read it anywhere official, but here's how I'd probably design it:

Arguably the PCM's main purpose is to calculate how much fuel to inject to get the right air:fuel mixture. The PCM controls the amount of fuel going into the engine by controlling the "pulse width" for the injectors (how long the injector is held open). A precesely built fuel injector operating at a certain pressure, will deliver a certain amount of fuel in a given time (think of the lb/hour rating for most injectors). If you know how fast fuel is being delivered to the engine (gal/hour) and you know the vehicle speed (from the VSS), you can divide those two numbers to get a measure of mpg.

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I haven't read it anywhere official, but here's how I'd probably design it:

Arguably the PCM's main purpose is to calculate how much fuel to inject to get the right air:fuel mixture. The PCM controls the amount of fuel going into the engine by controlling the "pulse width" for the injectors (how long the injector is held open). A precesely built fuel injector operating at a certain pressure, will deliver a certain amount of fuel in a given time (think of the lb/hour rating for most injectors). If you know how fast fuel is being delivered to the engine (gal/hour) and you know the vehicle speed (from the VSS), you can divide those two numbers to get a measure of mpg.