1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DIC MPG reading

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Coneklr, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Coneklr

Coneklr New Member

Hi,
    How accurate is the MPG reading on the DIC. The best I'm getting out my truck is 13.0 MPG. My wife has a 2500HD 4x4 crew cab with 8 ft bad. She is getting 13.2 MPG. Argh! She also tows a 5th wheel/goose with three horses almost every weekend about 25 miles.

Should I expect more than 13.0 MPG?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Over time, that figure will be pretty reliable. Remember there are factors such as what you do with the truck, how fast you drive (the faster, the worse the MPG), city driving/highway, start and stop, gun it off the line, etc. Towing a big horse trailer will kill your MPG on anything, sorry to tell you.
  3. Restlessone

Restlessone Member

I've got pretty much the same truck and am getting about 18.5 miles per gallon. That's mostly empty on the highway. I can watch the guage go down in the city. The truck is new to me, about 3k miles total mileage is about 45K
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Yeah, the range between city and highway is real ... that's why there are two MPG numbers on your sticker when you buy it. A Prius in heavy city driving will get 15 MPG just like anything else. Towing is another factor and it will kill your MPG.
  5. Coneklr

Coneklr New Member

Hmmm... can you get around 18mpg with the 6.0L like I have in my truck?

I hear ya about the horse trailer towing killing MPG. That's what erks me. My wife tows the horse trailer with her truck.
    I never tow with mine, just highway miles down HOV lanes commuting to work, hardly any stop and go at all. It's roughly a 60 mile round trip commute. I do have a heavy foot though. Maybe it's heavier than I thought. It's the racer in me. lol
  6. Restlessone

Restlessone Member

On your DIC there is an instantaneous mileage section. Put it on the that and watch what happens when you hop on the gas. I've seen mine down around 3 mpg when I floor it. Taught me to slow down a little.
  7. Coneklr

Coneklr New Member

I did try that. I think it sat at 0mpg most of the time....lol not really but it was hard to keep it at any decent mpg. I'm now trying cruise control enabled when ever possible except on very hilly terrain. Seems to be helping a bit.
  8. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

you shouldn't be getting 13.0 on the highway. i get 16 around town in my 5.3
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Mine only gets 12 but its the older 6.0 and a heavier truck. Is it mean to laugh because his wife drives a bigger truck :rofl:. Just kidding I know you said she tows the horse trailer and stuff.
  10. starsilverado

starsilverado New Member 100 Posts

MPG in VA

In Virginia there are enough hills to take advantage of GRAVITY! Over the years I have noticed most people coast down a hill and end up powering up the other side. I take advantage of the gravity assit and power down the hills and coast up the other side. It takes less fuel to accelerate down a hill then to accelerate up a hill. Try it and see your MPG improve!