1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

did i get a good deal?!?! need help

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by fasttimes, Jul 7, 2013.

1. fasttimes

fasttimes New Member

hey guys im new to the site and i just picked up a 91 6.2 diesel suburban with a l-80 trans and a banks side winder turbo 2 wheel drive for 2000 its got 200,000 on the clock and its mint no rust under door or on the rockers was garage keepet and the interior is mint but i dont know anything about diesel or suburbans i just bought it as my first car im the 2nd owner and the guy only used it to bring his cars to the track but i have no clue if theres anything i should be worred about

3F83Jc3Hb5N85G55E8d6lb69815d4a0e315d6.jpg 3I63J73H95If5s95Fad6l79e877b42f0513a4.jpg 3J33s63Nb5Ee5qf5t2d6l1355a52a43fa1821.jpg 3Le3J83sd5N95s85tdd6l9eee6cea6f451d6a.jpg 3rb3Md3Ia5Eb5Hb5qbd6l4f0c034a746a1bbd.jpg

Attached Files:

2. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

Stating the obvious here, but 200K is a bit high in general. BUT, it is a 91 and i've got almost 200K on my 98 and she's still running great. As far as the price, it seems a wee bit high but I wouldn't say you got screwed or anything. It looks like a great truck and most importantly, are you happy? That's all that matters. Greg
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

I slightly disagree with USAF-SUBURBAN
    The price seems pretty good-heck running Suburban-$2000-good deal
    This is why I think the price is good

1) OP lives in NY- pretty sure that is a "rust bucket state" where they salt the roads-and EVERY VEHICLE more than 10 years old is a freakin' horrible rust bucket. A running "not rust bucket" truck- 3/4 ton right- for $2000- is probably rare-most $2000 vehicles in the NE are POS rust buckets.

2) It is a Diesel-there are LOADS of crazed diesel truck fanatics that drive up diesel truck values -and this one-did it start life as a turbocharged motor??-earlier 80's GM diesel trucks didn't have a turbo-but maybe they did by 1991-right? And the aftermarket turbo-will appeal the diesel truck fans

Fastimes I think you got a good to great deal-lotta Turbo diesel fanatics probably would drool over that aftermarket turbo(not that GMs pre Duramax diesels are big diesel trucks favorites like Cummins )
    Yeah you did ok since it isn't a rust bucket-and might get decent enough mpg- much better than a 454-maybe a little better than spark 5.7
  4. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

Great points. Didn't take into account the location (and the potential for rusting). I grew up in Pennsylvania prior to joining the military and we definitely had our fair share of rust buckets as well... With that said, I'd up my original assessment to say you did get a good deal. Maybe not great, but good. Greg
  5. phoebeisis

Hey Greg-
    When I was a kid until 7.5 years old 1953 1958- we lived in Penn-Philly then someplace called Boothwin Penn-rural area between Wilmington Del and Philly-?? Pretty area lotta big rocks left from glaciers
    In about 1957 we got SNOWED in for 7 days-yeah-roads and our driveway couldn't get plowed
    Being a kid-in school- it was great!!
    Yeah bet they used PLENTY of salt in Penn

In about 2003 I bought a 2001 Prism off Ebay-just 12000 miles-great price-from NJ dealer
    it turned out to be a great little car-
    but EVERY surface that was aluminum or plated steel -had white grunge crusty corrosion on it
    Just 2 years-every steel nut bolt or aluminum was grungy
    Now painted surfaces-were prefect-if paint was intact!!
    Just 2 freakin years of NJ weather-!!

I wonder did that diesel come originally with a turbo??

I like my spark motor Suburban 5.7-so not a diesel truck nut-why bother when the 5.7 works so well?
    On the other hand-since OP has a good body- he could probably put a 5.7 in it if it came to it- if the diesel grenaded itself-suspect it could be bolted in-lotta parts wiring harness radiator brackets would have to be sourced-but a good body in a RUST state-big plus
    $2000 good price-maybe not great but pretty good
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  6. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

They still like to use plenty of salt on the roadways, that's for sure! After I joined the military and started moving around it took a bit to get used to seeing sand being used instead of salt. Doesn't help as much with traction but it definitely helps minimize the rust damage as well as road maintenance...

I've never owned a diesel so I can't speak much to that fact but I do enjoy my 98 with the 5.7 quite immensly. I've had many years of good service from her and anticipate many more. I would venture to guess you'll get many more out of your 91 as well... Greg
  7. fasttimes

fasttimes New Member

i got to say i love the truck and its deff a head turner had a few offers to buy it but i love rolln mean coal with it im going to lift it and make it primer black and i just ordered a safari rack and some kc day lighters and some led bar lights and im going to oreder a new front and rear off road bumpers the only thing i dont like is that its 2 wheel drive not 4 but other then that no issews or probloms starts right up but its also bin 100 for the past week i just hope she aint a bitch come winter
  8. phoebeisis

In the "old days" folks did just fine with 2wd
    And the snow tires are MUCH better now than they were back when
    Except guessing they don't allow the carbide studs in tires anymore-they worked really well
    in any case snow tires chains if needed-and caution-will work out fine
    Hey since you are planning MODS- maybe get a winch-don't they help get you out of snowbanks??
    Front and rear winch maybe?? Tie that sucker to a helpful looking telephone pole tree etc?? (legal?)
    I think 2wd is fine with snow tires-and careful driving-tow straps maybe just in case-
    Guess I don't know jack about driving in snow-been since 1976 last time I drove in snow ice
    Outside Denver-a rental 1975 Chevette-sucker stuck like glue on icy mountain interstate-BUT IT HAD CARBIDE STUDS!! Yeah that Chevette was glued to the road!!
    4X4 nice in snow-but folks managed just fine with 2wd in snow country for many many years-1950's 1960's 1970's 4X4 was kinda rare-pickups were rare until the mid 1970's-folks had cars station wagons-not trucks-and Suburbans-RARE until the 1970's-80's
    The Ford Exploder was far more common than Suburbans or Tahoes-until maybe 1995 or so.
    yeah the Exploder-really popular SUV 20-25 years ago-probably costs ALMOST as much as a Suburban-not sure why anyone preferred it to a Suburban-didn't even get better FE

I like your truck!
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I'd say you did a good job of picking that truck up. I paid $1500 for my '91 with the 5.7 and being a 1/2 ton. What safari rack and lift are you going with? I'd love to add both to my suburban, but haven't been able to find ones that will work with my truck.
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

I'd think you did darn good myself! As for the comment about studs, they are allowed here in CO. I don't have a clue what the laws are elsewhere