1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

did i get a good deal?!?! need help

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by fasttimes, Jul 7, 2013.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Scrolling through those pics, there is nothing "mint" about that truck...

IMO, I too think $2,000 is a bit high for that.
  2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

For a New York truck, that's mint! Lol anything that doesn't have even the slightest surface rust is mint
  3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Rust vs no rust isn't the only thing that determines if a vehicle is "mint" or not.

My truck has no rust but the whole right side of the bed is crushed in, the center console is busted and all the wheel bearings need to be replaced. Is it still mint?
  4. BurbanMan

Your obviously missing the point... He's not in Texas. The vehicles there are usually missing 1/4's and floor boards in the first 5yrs of their life. Here in CO for example, they use a chemical form of salt with a funky name I can never remember. Either way. When I first moved here my truck had 0 rust. 8months later the the whole drivers floor is non existent. The New England states are very much the same. To find that truck in that good of shape is a score and a half!
  5. Rebel_Bowtie

Rebel_Bowtie Member

calcium chlorate :money:
  6. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

They actually use magnesium chloride. When it mixes with snow it turns into a weird raw pie crust consistency which I've labeled Smag (snow+mag chloride).
    It does a great job of melting the ice but does wreak a little havoc with the undercarriage. Nothing a little Kroil and bloody knuckles can't bust through!
  7. BurbanMan

Yeah! That's the stuff! Lol my memory sucks if you couldn't tell lol
  8. DrumBound

DrumBound Member

I am in upstate NY, and when I knew I aas coming back here (coming from South Korea) the first things on my my mind in a vehicle were no rust, not shiny, and 4x4(to have some fun). Up here you can tell how long a car has been here just by driving around. Lower body panels rusted-5 years. Quarter panels and/or floor-10 years. Unless you drop 800 a year for undercoating, you car gets done in quick. I figured I would see how quick it would happen when I brought my 88 suburban up here and I am already seeing rust on the entire lower side of my truck. But I want to get some bodywork done anyways, so not a big deal for me. So 2k for a rust free car up here is one helluva great deal, especially considering its age.
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Old thread
    But a 20 yo running decently NOT RUSTBUCKET 1/2 truck ton in the NE or midwest(but MW not as bad usually)- is a much better than average deal.
    If it was a 4x4 it would have gone for much more
    but folks up there are queer for 4x4's
    When I was a kid-1950's-lived in Penn-no one had 4x4-and everyone drove in winter
    Snow tires chains ashes(not sure why the furnace ashes) sand bags in trunk (for weight traction-maybe to toss under wheels??) and later on screw in carbide studs

But $2000-running Suburban-not rust bucket-good find! It would have gone for a lot more if it had been a 4x4-which is nice but not necessary unless you off road crummy road drive-
    and the 4x4 -that vintage-you pay a 1-2mpg penalty all the time for some reason(not sure why-since 300 lbs should cost some much fuel-and the penalty is mainly gone now?)
    Charlie