1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

dielectric grease ok for ignition control module ?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by RATRODKING, Oct 11, 2012.

1. RATRODKING

RATRODKING Rockstar 100 Posts

guys, i installed a new ignition control module on my 1990 k1500 5.7 today. i did not have any of the white grease that usually goes on the bottom, so i used some permatex dielectric grease, the clear kind.
    will i be ok, or should i get some of the white stuff ?
    thanks
  2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Naaa. you wanna use the heat sink compound. (the white stuff)
  3. RATRODKING

do they sell it individually ? i have onyl seen it when its usually inside the module box...
    thanks
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I want to say Autozone sells it in little packets, commonly used on trailer plugs, but dont quote me on that.
  5. RATRODKING

thanks, i am heading there tomorrow after work, and will do it the right way
  6. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That would be dielectric grease. You can get heat sink compound ar radio shack... Probably at the auto parts store too. Never looked for it there.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Moogvo's spot on. You want heat sink compound. It's a grease/paste that has little bits of aluminum or silver embedded in the compound to enhance thermal conductivity. You can find it at RadioShack or Best Buy in the computer aisle. It's commonly used on heatsinks for computer processors.

It's crucial the ignition module has good thermal conductivity to the housing it's mounted to. The module produces a lot of heat and is heat-sensitive. Run it without it for too long and you'll be replacing the module again.
  8. RATRODKING

9. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I would say you got some good stuff there!!
  10. RATRODKING

glad to hear this... the guy at work is not a car guy, and i tried to explain what i was doing, and the little tube said "thermal" something, but wasnt worded "heat sink" paste, so im just making sure..
    thanks for the input... i now feel safe...
    autozone did not carry the white stuff, i tried talking them to give me some out of a new ignition module box, but obviously they didnt want to do that.