1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Diesel engine options

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

It seems the diesel motors are a rare breed. Where they reliable at all? I like the idea of getting a bit more gas mileage.

The 350 seems to be the most common motor. So I figure parts and service is cheaper overall.

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The older, early 80’s ones were not a good engine. New ones yes.

I had one of the 80 GM diesels in my impala wagon, just a reworked gas motor.

Unless you can find one that has no problems I would stay away from them.

The new ones have gotten a lot better.

3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I drive my Duramax mostly on country roads and to work and back (10 miles round trip) but I had to make a trip to Portland, OR and back and got 18.1 mpg. I have 11K miles on it and from what I have read, my mileage will continue to improve as the Duramax gets closer to 20K on it. :great:

4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Diesel's in the USA have been very unpopular mostly from an economic standpoint. When gas was cheap, it didn't make sense to spend $5000 - $7000 for a noisy, smelly diesel option just to get the fuel economy advantages offered in a diesel. In Europe, where gas prices have been high for awhile, diesels are in wide use. Now that gas prices have jumped....diesels will start to increase their market share. GM's Tonawanda, New York engine plant is preparing to build 400 of their new Duramax 4500 diesel V-8 engines a day by 2009, that's almost 100,000/yr. You can easily expect to get 500,000 mile engine life from a diesel and you'll probably need it to get your money's worth out of a $50,000 truck!

5. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

Does anyone know if GM Made/makes any small block or V-6 diesel engines that weren't just reconfigured gas motors destined to be slag?

I'm interested because if I were to get a pickup (colorado or S-10 possibly) I would be interested in a small smoker swap. I don't need a ton of towing capacity, it would just be a weekend warrior truck, but would like the reliability and durability of Diesel.

I figured they may make some for their foreign markets, but didn't know if they would be available here or not.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

GM will be offering a smaller Diesel soon in the 1/2 ton truck market, dont remember if it was planned to be a V-8 or a 6.
    Isuzu offers I6 and I4 Diesels that mate to GM transmissions. The I4 isnt too bad of an engine they can be found in the medium duty truck line (dually chassis with 3 different cab versions). We had a few at work, they were 25' boxes, managed to get 21/22 mpg, and lasted about 275K before we sent them to auction.
    GM never really offered many Diesels in the foreign market. Most foreign GM's are gas powered. Even the U.S. Military GM Diesel had to be brought back stateside for DRMO so they didnt end up on the foreign market. The only exception is Military assistance packages, but foreign forces usually drive those trucks into the ground until they arent worth resale.

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Imported the small 4 cyl Isuzu-

In the 80's GM was in bed with Isuzu and the little chevy pickup had a little 4 cyl -same motor and truck as the little Isuzu.I think this is the only GM badged diesel sold in this country that wasn't a V-8.
    Now GM makes LOTS of small very efficient diesels-4 cyls-and sells them all over Europe,Asia,South America etc.They make a small mini-minivan-Zafira?Vauxhall??-that seats 6 with a small 4cyl TDI that gets an honest 40+ mpg on the highway.The small GM pickups are very popular in SA with a small Diesel.
    We haven't gotten these vehicles for a few reasons
    1)They are kinda expensive-maybe $30,000 for the small minivan made in Europe.GM figured they couldn't make $$ selling them here-they were right of course.
    2)EPA regs on diesels
    3)Gas wasn't expensive enough to wash the bad diesels smell(from the 80's) out of our mouths.80's diesels stunk,and were extremely slow!!The Isuzu diesel pickup-1985 vintage-took over 20 seconds to do 0-60!!!(60 hp-very slow revving horses at that).The pickup did get an honest 35-40 mpg highway-and maybe 25+ city.
    Diesel small vehicles are going to make a comeback. I think GM is smart to just use the diesel on biggish vehicles-1/2 ton truck-type vehicles.Gasoline spart motors with hybrid tech are so good that going diesel for smallish vehicles that don't tow might not make sense.
    Charlie
    PS There is a small Cummins out there that folks retrofit to 1/2 ton sized vehicles.

8. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah, I definately see Diesels re-emerging with their fuel saving abilities.

I prefer the Chevy platform. But when I see that the Massive Ford Excursion in Diesel gets real world 19-24mpg, it looks tempting.

I'd like to have the new diesels, in the older truck style body of the 92-99 Burbans.