Diesel swap in a 93 s10

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by chevyguy4life, Jun 5, 2013.

1. chevyguy4life

chevyguy4life New Member

Hi everyone my name is Nate. i'm new to the forum. i drive a 1993 chevy s10 with a 2.8 v6 5spd (turd) i was looking into possibly taking out this slug engine and replacing it with a diesel. i had an idea of putting a 6.6 druamax in it but steered in a different direction after punching some numbers :no:. i was looking at putting an isuzu turbo diesel in it (i'm a diesel junky). I've been looking through different engines and am not sure which one will supply me with both a decent amount of power and decent mpg. i know it wont be fast but as long as it does better than the 2.8 im good with that. any ideas?

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C, Nate! You might get more answers in one of our Tech' forums.

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Nate
    Welcome
    Have a buddy with a 1986 or so Isuzu with the 4 cal diesel-not turbid
    He also had same engine-Turboed-in the Isuzu SUV- forget the name-maybe 1989 or so
    The HP was low 50-60 for plain diesel 80 for TD
    They are-were-extremely slow-probably slower than you little 4 gas engine
    But on the BRIGHT SIDE his little pickup-would get an HONEST 40 mpg at 55 mph(national speed limit at that time)
    If you are looking to do it the easy way-you might hunt up one of those old Isuzu pickups-
    or the Chevy Luv diesel-same vehicle
    Now I haven't seem one-other than his(450,000 miles-maybe still running) in many years-and RUST was a BIG problem for vehicles of that generation.

If you want MPG the little Isuzu diesel will deliver
    If you want performance -acceleration-better than your current motor-not possible with that motor.
    On the bright side-those diesels had simpler injection systems- probably can run on modified vegetable oil or modified cleaned up fryer grease-not sure how well they tolerate current low sulphur diesel.

By numbers-you checked up found it would cost $10,000 or so to do a duramax swap-and HEAVY engine for for that little truck.

Seems I've heard of folks putting a small Cummins 4 cylinder in S10's??
    Well you are much more experienced in diesels than I am- but I do know the Isuzu 4 delivers on mpg- but it is slow
    Charlie

4. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. :glasses:

5. chevyguy4life

chevyguy4life New Member

i've heard of this too, but from people that have done this said the have a death shake at idle :/ since this is my daily driver i wouldn't want to deal with that.

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

I moved your thread to the correct section of our forum, as this will get you more responses/opinions.

7. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Welcome to the site. I'd go for the 4BT Cummins myself but that's me. Those actually made decent power, certainly better than that 60*V6 that's in there (sorry if my bias against 60* 6s is showing). It would actually be decent for a DD. Good power and you'll probably get better fuel mileage than the 4cyl version does. I've tossed around the idea of a 6BT in the Burb myself (the 4BT wouldn't put out as much power as the tired motor in there now)

8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Out at Carlisle Pa Last year there was a guy selling MB 240D motors Cheap He had one in a Old mail Jeep Great motor and a easy install in anything so he says..

9. chevyguy4life

chevyguy4life New Member

Thank you for moving my thread im obviously still new to the site. i was also looking into a isuzu 4 cyl. diesel turbo 3.9l 4bd1T, seems decent but dont know much about isuzu motors.

10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

They last forever..