1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

diesel swap trucks

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Jun 4, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Im super jellous of the people who got a diesle truck, then dropped in whatever they wanted for an engine and dont need to worry about emissions or anything.

i wanna talk about this.
    was it easy to do, or was the wiring a pain?
    did you go TBI?
    how easy was it to get around the DMV?

i wonder if you went gas to diesel... anyone done that?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On my 91 Toyota Rockcrawler I went the most unconventional and unexpected route I could, I used a Yanmar 4 Cyl Turbocharged Sailboat generator/propulsion unit that puts out about 195 hp and 290 FP torque.
    The engine was free I had to salvage it from a beached Sailboat that was washed ashore and abandoned, I retained the sailboat gearbox that has only Fwd, Reverse, Neutral, and power take off for the generator, I'm running a set of divorced Dana T cases that are mated together and clocked, this way I get the same amount of forward and reverse gears geared the same. Its only a trail truck that never see's roads so the top speed of 45 mph isnt a problem, and with the selection I can run 2wd or 4wd extra low, low, high, extra high.
    I recently got all the pieces together along with adaptors to install a TH400 behind the engine so itll be a little more friendly to drive.
    The engine is a multi fuel model that can run Bio, kerosene, White gas, Diesel, and all grades of Jet fuel.
    I used this engine because it's all mechanical, even the fuel control is a mechanical set-up that can be adjusted to whatever fuel I'm burning.
    The truck was originally a gas 22RE/5 spd.
    I had it registered for street use as late as 2010 but dropped the insurance after Texas started allowing off-road registrations.
    Since the engines rated to run Bio fuel DMV approved the engine swap no problems. Electrical was 5 wires for engine power and tying the alternator into the trucks existing fuse box.
    I only have a running light on the dash and gauges for everything else, very simple nothing fancy.
    I got the idea from a friend running a BobCat drivetrain in his Jeep.