1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

diff in 2wd frame and 4x4 frame

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 2wheelmudder, Apr 20, 2010.

1. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

so i found this guy who sells a pretty cheap axle swap kit for the 88-99 obs silverados, the only question i have is there much difference between 2wd and 4x4 frames, i figure that the motor crossmember is different, but the front ends of the frame are the same and i think where the frame bows out wider is the same, which is the big thing when mounting the leaf spring mounts, i figured upper a arm mounts might be different and stuff any other people know differences? here is the website if anyones interested:
    http://www.bigredchevy.com/
  2. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

anyone know anything bout this?
  3. Scott77

Scott77 Member

Are you converting a 2wd to 4wd? If thats the case by the time you get the axle, crossmember, trans, transfer case blah blah blah you could probably just have bought a 4wd truck. Or am completely missing something in your question?
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Mudder, I went to the site link you posted. As far as the upper A arm mounts, that wouldn't make a difference because you would be taking the A arms off & throwing them away cuz this kit is for swapping in a solid axle 4wd & doesn't mount to the upper A arm mounts, but to the frame. The kit looks great & well worth the $250 since he's done all the engineering & spent all the time fabbing it, but like Scott said, there's going to be a LOT of expense buying the axle, transfer case etc. & the other components to convert it, & might cost more than just trading your 2wd in for a 4wd.
    Then again, if your engine & truck are perfect, I can understand why you would want to go this route cuz I wouldn't trade my '88 for anything.