diff in 2wd frame and 4x4 frame

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 2wheelmudder, Apr 20, 2010.

1. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

so i found this guy who sells a pretty cheap axle swap kit for the 88-99 obs silverados, the only question i have is there much difference between 2wd and 4x4 frames, i figure that the motor crossmember is different, but the front ends of the frame are the same and i think where the frame bows out wider is the same, which is the big thing when mounting the leaf spring mounts, i figured upper a arm mounts might be different and stuff any other people know differences? here is the website if anyones interested:
    http://www.bigredchevy.com/

2. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

anyone know anything bout this?

3. Scott77

Scott77 Member

Are you converting a 2wd to 4wd? If thats the case by the time you get the axle, crossmember, trans, transfer case blah blah blah you could probably just have bought a 4wd truck. Or am completely missing something in your question?

4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Mudder, I went to the site link you posted. As far as the upper A arm mounts, that wouldn't make a difference because you would be taking the A arms off & throwing them away cuz this kit is for swapping in a solid axle 4wd & doesn't mount to the upper A arm mounts, but to the frame. The kit looks great & well worth the $250 since he's done all the engineering & spent all the time fabbing it, but like Scott said, there's going to be a LOT of expense buying the axle, transfer case etc. & the other components to convert it, & might cost more than just trading your 2wd in for a 4wd.
    Then again, if your engine & truck are perfect, I can understand why you would want to go this route cuz I wouldn't trade my '88 for anything.