1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Difference between K&N Aircharger (part # 63-3070) and K&N 77 Kit (part # 77-3070KP)?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by mjs84, Dec 8, 2010.

1. mjs84

mjs84 Rockstar

Both seem to be about the same price, with one claiming a 16+hp gain, the other 9+hp gain at the same RPM.

Why would you choose one over the other?

FYI - going in a 2009 Silverado 1500 4.8L

Appreciate the help.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

real world. you may get 2hp from either.. Those are under "optimum" conditions with motors that have been tuned for them.
  3. mjs84

mjs84 Rockstar

Thanks Mike.

Would the difference solely be aesthetics then? Or is there a slight sound difference?
  4. Jim Jordan

Jim Jordan New Member

Well, Mike may have gotten less than exciting results, but I got 2 mpg better on my truck after going with K&N, not sure it feels any faster, but the mileage is a little better, and the fact that the filters are cleanable is great!
  5. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Like Mike said, you are not going to feel a seat of the pants difference with either. There are better brands out there too..... IMHO
  6. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As far as big HP gains from A CAI, there will be very little. They will help with fuel mileage due to the motor breathes better. There a lot of options out here for CAI's but K&N has always made a quality product. Look around and you will find other options like Airaid, Volant, Vararam, AFE, Banks, Bully Dog and the list goes on. Good luck!!
  7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The 77 is a metal inlet tube I think and the air charger is plastic. I have the air charger with tune and exhaust and I'm pushing around 40 more horses as soon as I get home im gunna throw it on my dads Dyno and seems exact numbers
  8. black03silverado

black03silverado Rockstar

I just put a K&N kit on my 08 with the plastic tube and the only difference i noticed was much better throttle response, I already had a diablosport predator, and a Magnaflow dual catback on the truck and the intake i think allows the truck to breathe better thus better throttle response, not to mention it adds to the mangaflow sound, it a lot cooler sounding when you mash the GO pedal lol. just my 2 cents