Differences between Suburbans...???

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by DuckDaddy, Jun 30, 2008.

1. DuckDaddy

DuckDaddy New Member

We are considering a Suburban for it's ability to seat my family and the ease of fixing it when needed. (or so I am told) We are considering an older model (1992 - 1998) due to financial restrictions. I have a couple of questions, if I may...

1. Are the Suburbans really easy to work on?

2. Is there any difference in quality between the Chevy Suburban, GMC Suburban, Chevy Tahoe, or the GMC Yukon? or is it just a matter of different name due to different companies?

3. I have always driven (don't flame me *lol*) Fords due to coincidence, not preference...is there a major difference in repairabilty between Chevy and Ford?

I know I am asking a lot, but I really want to know. Thank you very much...

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site. There seems to be a lot of folks buying suburbans these days. In the years you are looking at, there is very little difference between chevy & GMC. On the latest version GM has tried to make the GMC a little "classier" (I guess that is the right word). The only thing that would make them easier to work on is there might be a few less sensors & computer controls on the earlier models. Goodd luck & have fun!

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The older suburbans are pretty easy to work on, especially if you get the 5.7L motor. There's plenty of space in the engine bay. Call me crazy, but it seems like the GMC equivalent of Chevy vehicles seem to last longer than the Chevys... It's supposedly the same blasted parts, just a different name... go figure.

4. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

In the years that you are looking at, I would stay between 96-99. Those had the vortec motor and have a little more power than the TBI motors. There is an issue with the vortecs having leaky intake gaskets, but chances are anything you come accross will have already had them replaced. It's still just a simple small block Chevy underneath all those sensors and they do a pretty good job at telling you what might be wrong if there is a problem.

5. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

I concur with Gary, and on top of that I limited myself to 98-99 Burbans. I figure the newer the less mileage. The price point these cars are at now, you can afford to be a little picky as there are tons of options, at least around where I live.

6. DuckDaddy

DuckDaddy New Member

Well, I got the "Burb! It is a white 95, 4WD. And I love it! I am no longer a Ford man. *washes off the stench*

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Dont be turned off by non vortec motors, those older TBI 350 seem alot easier to get better MPG outof without digging into the computer. Congrats anyway on the ultimate people mover!

8. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Watch that intake gasket.... How many miles are on it?

9. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase. I'm sure you'll be happy with it on the whole.

I'm not brand particular and don't think all too many people are total die-hard fans anymore. Vehicles in the driveway owned by household family members right now are (not kidding here) Jeep Cherokee, Ford Mustang, Pontiac Grand Prix, Nissan Maxima, Chevy Suburban and Alfa Romeo Spider. (<===== ok, that last one is, to no surprise, at the shop!) They all have their positives, they all have their negatives, they all need regular maintenance, and they will all break down at some point. Right now my trouble child is the Suburban.

But I digress... post pictures of your new baby!

10. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I just got my first Burban (02) Chevy and can't see why they are different from GMC except that GMC like it was stated, a little bit classier, whatever, right? The prices now are right for any year, model and size, but its going to change, so thats why I also cop'd it now.... GOOD LUCK. I get to pick it up tonight:party: