1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

differences in z71

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by uk mac, Oct 3, 2009.

1. uk mac

uk mac New Member

i have a 1996 silverado350 v8 sportside does anybody know what differs in the z71 to a nomal truck
  2. okysmokey911

okysmokey911 Rockstar 100 Posts

I think I read somewhere that the main difference was the suspension, but I am unsure what other differences there are. I have a 93 z71.
  3. 06SCSilverado

06SCSilverado New Member

my z71 has 4 wheel drive with locking hubs on it...also the stock suspension is different...some z71's have a different gear ratio than other models
  4. Z71_usmc_rebel

Z71_usmc_rebel Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I know that my Z71 (2002) came with skid plates and a transmission cooler.. along with that I believe it does have a different susp. set up. I also have a tow package but i believe that may come on all 4x4 models...that might help you a little bit
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The biggest difference is the suspension and badging.
    Z71's have progressive rate springs and badging identifying them as a Z71.
    The gear ratio can be optioned on any GM truck.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Could you please explain what that means?

Z-71 usually means skid plates, better shocks, goofy sticker
  7. maxpower_454

maxpower_454 Member

Hey, i like my z71 sticker!! haha. Anyway, you're right, just bilstein shocks and skid plates from what I've read
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Would really like to hear this.....
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

differences in Z-71

The Z-71 depending on year has stiffer springs or torsen bars, stiffer and larger gas shocks, lower gear ratios,larger radiator, tranny cooler (from 1-ton truck) skid plates, posi or locker rear end and some years had engine oil cooler and the all important Z-71 decals.
  10. 06SCSilverado

06SCSilverado New Member

as in your halfway up a hill and can't make it all the way and start to roll back your hubs lock down keeping you from rolling backwards