1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Differential Backlash guidelines on old gears

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Cody, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Cody

Cody New Member

Hello everyone, we have a 92 chevy x-cab with 150k miles that my son now drives. He reported rear gear noise and I found a bad seal leak and that that the diff was almost dry. I bought a new bearing kit for all bearings and have those replaced. I am using the original pinion bearings as set up bearings with the original .035 pinion shim and the original carrier bearing side shims which are about .238 thick. I have preloaded the pinion and have it temporarily assembled without the crush sleeve for testing. However the ring gear backlash is something like .075" (75 thousandths instead of 8-10 thousandths). The gear pattern with gear paint also looks way off. Does anyone have a guideline for backlash on used gears? I have shims with the kit but something seems way off. If I add a .030" shim to the gear side of carrier and reduce the other side by .030, I can get the backlash down to about .018", but still not sure if this is right with the used gears Any thoughts appreciated... Cody