differential covers

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by reggiecab2000, Aug 20, 2012.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

can anybody tell me why differential covers are so damn expensive?!?!
    i do not understand what makes a diff cover so pricey, is there some sort of performance benefit or something that makes this so?

2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Heres the diff cover I bought, although havent installed it yet it is a bit pricey. Ive seen the cheap chrome ones go for about $30 but they turn to rust quick. This one explains a little of the benefits of them. Got this one for $150
    [​IMG]

Proform/Specialty Auto Parts has added this aggressively designed, super lightweight Perfect Launch differential cover to its ever-growing line of GM and Ford performance parts. Less weight equals more speed, so lighten up your rearend with these Perfect Launch reinforced diff covers. They have been specifically designed to add strength to the rear housing case, which is particularly important during heavy torque situations. Each Perfect Launch cover includes two bolts to stabilize bearing main caps, two magnetic drain plugs and cover mounting bolts for your application. These covers are available for the GM 10-bolt (P/N 66668), the GM 12-bolt (P/N 69502) and the Ford 8.8-inch (P/N 69501) rearends.

3. reggiecab2000

so other than the "rusty" look which really seems to be mostly cosmetic, not very damaging unless it became severe, the only real benefit is lighter weight, which we could generously say maybe a few pounds off the diff cover, which wouldnt make any difference at all compared to a trucks weight?
    is there any other worthy benefits that would justify spending at least $150.00 for a loss of 5 pounds or so?

4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Probably not. I got mine because of the looks mostly. I also wanted to beable to drain the fluid without removing the cover and also they have magnets on the drain plugs removing some of the metal contaminants. This particular cover has the bearing cap supports explaining some of the higher cost.

5. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Some diff covers (as indicated above) have drain plugs. Many of them allow expanded capacity, and some will have cooling fins. As with many aftermarket parts, though, the cost difference between manufacturing costs and actual retail is much higher than volume stock parts. If you're just in the market for a replacement (e.g. you damaged yours), a junkyard is a great place to find something on the cheap. Cash is king at most places. Pull the part, walk to the front and make an offer. You might walk away with a cover for $20 that way.

Cheers,

-Skippy.

6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

One of the reasons as was stated in the one phantom has is the bearing support. Most are also supposed to be stronger to help protect the diff cover from getting bent and hitting the gears in the diff. As someone also said they come finned which will help to reduce heat. How much? I don't know if that has ever been tested. The other bonus is a larger capacity for fluid which again helps to reduce temps. When the time comes to have to change out my diff fluid I will be going with something like the G2 diff cover. Being able to keep some if not all of the metal pieces from floating around and running through the gears is a BIG plus!

7. reggiecab2000

gotcha now, hmmm it seems like a smart move to invest in something of the like, ill have to save up for a bit, but with those advantages, it make make it into my wishlist lol