1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Differential fill and drain plug

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bazar01, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

2001 Burb with 150k miles. Is there a drain and fill plug on the rear diff? I can barely see a plug in the bottom with a 1/2" or 3/8" square drive but I cannot seem to find the fill plug looking from the rear tires. I am hoping not to remove the diff cover. Thanks.
  2. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

If I remember correctly on my '99 burb, it is on the front half of the pumpkin, on the passenger side. You wouldn't see it from the back.
  3. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You could always vacuum it out... :)
  4. bazar01

Thanks.

I will take a look again tonight.
  5. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There is a fill/check fluid level plug. To empty you need to either vacuum out like said above or take the cover off. I recommend just to take the cover off and take some brake clean and spray all in there and clean out any gunk. Doesn't take to long and its definitely worth it!
    1 person likes this.
  6. bazar01

Good advise.

Do I need some sort of cover gasket or RTV will work? Thanks.
  7. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would suggest just going and buying the gasket then putting on some RTV for safe assurance. Sometimes your gasket will be reusable but thats a pretty rare case and no need to take chances for a few extra bucks!
  8. bazar01

Went to the dealer and got the gasket. PN 15807693 @$10.23. Will tackle this project tomorrow. Thanks again.
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

The plug you see on the bottom (if it is on the very bottom of the pumpkin) is the drain plug and is a 3/8" ratchet head. There should then be another one (3/8" again) for the fill and level on the passenger side of the pumpkin as stated by janikphoto about midway between the back of the diff and driveshaft. as stated by ntbush83 and since you have the gasket go ahead and open it up and clean it out then close it back up and refill. Before draining very important that you make sure you can open the fill plug on the side, other wise you will have an empty diff without a way to fill it back up.
  10. bazar01

yes, will make sure the fill plug can be cracked loose first before I drain. good advise.