Difficulty with rear vision (camera) system installation

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Fenian, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Fenian

Fenian New Member

Hi

I thought I'd share this with some of you guys and see if anyone has had similar issues. For my 2011 Silverado extended cab 5.3 I purchased a rear vision system (model 9002-9503) from Brandmotion online and did the first half of the installation myself, using the directions and the video available online as a guide.

I switched out the mirror, replaced the tailgate bezel with the one provided with the integral camera, ran the wire harness along the left frame rail and drilled through the firewall, bringing the wire up to that point and stopped. The electrical connections seemed very complicated so I brought it to the dealer to finish the process. I was almost apologetic to the dealer for bringing him something which seemed to be very minor at the time!

My dealer mechanic couldn't figure out the electrical connections (original, OEM GM part as far as I know) and took from Thursday morning when I dropped the truck off until Monday (today) to finally finish the installation. He told me the mechanic actually had to put in a phone call to the manufacturer for assistance. All this considered I'm happy I didn't attempt to make the electrical connections myself.

Is my dealer mechanic inept or is this thing just incredibly difficult to install?

I should add that my dealer only charged me 2 hours labor even though he had the truck for almost 5 days. Definitely an honest dealer.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've got no eperience with the OEM kit but my aftermarket kit was braindead simple...

3. RFoster130

RFoster130 Member

I agree. I put an aftermarket unit on my 2005 avalanche with a new pioneer head unit. It was pretty simple.

4. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I watched the instillation video on the website, everything seemed straight forward. I can see how it might have got confusing when it came to inserting the pins but as long as you look in the directions for the slots everything should be ok.

Now I wouldn't say someone who doesn't feel comfortable with taking apart the whole car should be doing the even though all you're doing is drilling and then unbolting the pillars.

I have looked into buying this system them I look on eBay and find the OEM for a little cheaper even though this comes with all components for instillation.