1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Digital or Mechanical Tire Gauge?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by turo, Apr 30, 2010.

1. turo

turo New Member

OK here is a question that I haven't found an answer to. I always had a mechanical tire gauge and it seems to be working fine. Recently I bought a digital tire gauge. The digital gauge shows my tire is 4 to 6 pds more inflated than the mechanical one.. My OCD is kicking in and I need to know which one is accurate or close to it. Maybe y'all have had the same issue?

2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Don't try to figure this out. The digital is going to be more accurate. All the gages in my shop are off by at least 3psi. My pen style gage is high by one according to my digital.

3. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

Use them both and take the avg.

:rofl:

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2 for me as well i have used both and they are all off a bit. The whole point of most of your off the shelf ones are just to get you to the point where you arent low....

5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Like my dentist says when I ask him "electric" or "regular" toothbrush......he says "It doesn't matter, as long as you use it.":glasses:

6. doug_scott

doug_scott Rockstar

Go to a tire shop, and ask them to check your tire pressures, then check them with your gauges and compare Just because it is digital does not make it more accurate either.

7. dannys99

dannys99 Rockstar

The digital should be more accurate. Where I work we have a calibration gauge. it is digital and it is accurate to .1 psi.