Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Dim LED cargo Light

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by SAGO, Jan 12, 2014.

1. SAGO

SAGO New Member

My first mistake was I bought crappy lights. So I tossed them and I them bought new ones that are a bit more expensive and are a lot brighter (when connected directly to a battery). They work great when I first plug them in but after a few minutes they dim. I checked the voltage and it reads 7.8, when moments before it read 12.3. When I unplug one of the bulbs and plug it back in, there bright again. Any one else have this issue? I'm guessn a resistor inline with a the bulbs.... I do mean the 3rd brake light assembly. Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

3. SAGO

SAGO New Member

You wouldn't know resistor I would use do you?

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have no idea. I have asked that question multiple times and no one ever wants to give up the answers. I would check out a site like vleds.com or superbrightleds.com. maybe they can help

5. SAGO

SAGO New Member

Ok, will do. When I do find the correct resistor, I'll post it to this thread and we can make it a sticky. I know I'm not the first one to have this issue.

6. SAGO

SAGO New Member

Ok so I emailed one of the popular and well known l.e.d. suppliers and got some really good info for everyone that has issue's with light upgrades. If its a wedge type bulb like a marker or a 3rd brake light, cargo light you have to use a 25ohm-25watt load resistor, if your upgrading a brake, light, blinker, reverse type bulb the load resistor to be used is a 6ohm-50watt. VERY IMPORTANT TO USE A LOAD-RESISTOR!!! Do NOT use a ceramic type (like from Radio Shack) they will reach temps of 200°+ and run the risk burning your truck to the ground. Its easy to determine the difference between a load-resistor and a ceramic type.... A load-resistor is made from aluminum and looks high quality and has stranded wire with shielding coming from both ends, a ceramic type is rectangular and usually white with solid wire coming out from both ends.

7. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

awesome information! thank you for sharing this with everyone!