Dim LED cargo Light

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by SAGO, Jan 12, 2014.

1. SAGO

SAGO New Member

My first mistake was I bought crappy lights. So I tossed them and I them bought new ones that are a bit more expensive and are a lot brighter (when connected directly to a battery). They work great when I first plug them in but after a few minutes they dim. I checked the voltage and it reads 7.8, when moments before it read 12.3. When I unplug one of the bulbs and plug it back in, there bright again. Any one else have this issue? I'm guessn a resistor inline with a the bulbs.... I do mean the 3rd brake light assembly. Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

3. SAGO

SAGO New Member

You wouldn't know resistor I would use do you?

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have no idea. I have asked that question multiple times and no one ever wants to give up the answers. I would check out a site like vleds.com or superbrightleds.com. maybe they can help

5. SAGO

SAGO New Member

Ok, will do. When I do find the correct resistor, I'll post it to this thread and we can make it a sticky. I know I'm not the first one to have this issue.

6. SAGO

SAGO New Member

Ok so I emailed one of the popular and well known l.e.d. suppliers and got some really good info for everyone that has issue's with light upgrades. If its a wedge type bulb like a marker or a 3rd brake light, cargo light you have to use a 25ohm-25watt load resistor, if your upgrading a brake, light, blinker, reverse type bulb the load resistor to be used is a 6ohm-50watt. VERY IMPORTANT TO USE A LOAD-RESISTOR!!! Do NOT use a ceramic type (like from Radio Shack) they will reach temps of 200°+ and run the risk burning your truck to the ground. Its easy to determine the difference between a load-resistor and a ceramic type.... A load-resistor is made from aluminum and looks high quality and has stranded wire with shielding coming from both ends, a ceramic type is rectangular and usually white with solid wire coming out from both ends.

7. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

awesome information! thank you for sharing this with everyone!