1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dimming head lights?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by s5belford, Dec 9, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a 09 Silverado with 11,000 miles and the headlights seem to dim too easily. If I'm driving along at night with the windows up and try to roll up the windows (when checking to make sure they are closed) and the headlights dim at a very noticeable level.

Has anyone experienced this?
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Tapping the power door lock buttons to the beat of the radio makes for a nice light show too.:glasses:
  3. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member 100 Posts

Mine does that all the time

I always find myself doing that.
  4. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member 100 Posts

All my vehicles have done that...
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Both of my Silverado's did that too, I think it's a quirk just like a Harley leaking oil they all do that LOL!
  6. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ive never noticed this happen on any vehicle I have driven, except the re-worked electronic system on the 2007+ GM vehicles - trucks, an 07 impala i drove once, and my moms 08 buick lucerne. I also saw a cobalt the other day that couldn't handle its stereo at a stop. The guy had a sub in it and everytime it hit, his brake light lost AT LEAST half of their brightness (although this was hardly the fault of the car - you just shouldnt put that into a car with and alternator that cant handle it at idle).
  7. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Are your lights dimming when you are "driving" or waiting at a light at idle with the foot on the break. If you are driving there is no way that should ne happening, I would suspect a weak alternator, or loose connections.
  8. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Stopped or driving it does it, and it drives me nuts! my ****box 95 jimmy never did it and I had 2 10" subs. I really don't think its right even with everyone else saying its normal....
  9. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well my truck doesn't do that. If it did I would get out my volt meter and find the problem. It's probably a bad ground but it could be a bad connection in the power distribution box. I would start by cleaning the battery cables. Then start checking grounds with a volt meter while the lights are dimming.
  10. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i can see it dimming a bit when you are at idle, but if you have no accesories drawing extra power then it should never happen especially while the vehicle is moving. i have 2 subs and 1000 watts between two amps and NO capacitor and it never even dims when bass hits at idle. Something is drqwing power, loose connection or corrosion sucking power from alternator or battery