1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Diode Conversion for All Lights On High Beams

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by dsfloyd, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

Nevermind, figured out that I am a retard and put the diodes from High to Low to DRL in backwards. Got it all figured out now!

399882_10151244840155534_883940533_22989461_1386388213_n.jpg
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

glad you got it worked out
  3. al1701

al1701 New Member

Will this work for the old style 99 Suburbans? Saw a mod on another forum using a relay but haven't tried it. The diodes look easier to install.
    Thanks,
    Al
  4. CowsPatoot

CowsPatoot New Member

I don't know the 99 fuse box well enough to say...but it did NOT work for my 2001 Silverado. If yours is set up for separate relays for high and low beam, then it should work. My 2001 seems to be set up for left and right rather than high and low.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It won't work for the 99's. I believe @nakranij did a different mod to achieve the same effect on his Silvy and I know it wasn't diode-based. (It could have been the relay mod of you spoke.)
  6. BlackSmoke*

BlackSmoke* New Member

I just did this to my 04 avalanche and will use.it a lot when I am varmint hunting at night but will I need to install a bigger alternator firing time running or is it OK just the way it is? I don't wanna be stuck out in the middle of a ranch with no service and no vehicles for several miles away.
  7. barefoot greg

barefoot greg New Member 100 Posts

my truck with the aftermarket housings uses the same bulb housing for hi/lo with a dual filament bulb i believe, its a bit larger than the stock bulbs and there's 2 wire connectors coming out of it that both your hi and lo wiring harness attatch to.

My question is, already understanding its at my own risk, would it work to have both filaments in the same bulb come on? would it be beneficial at all or just a waste? also if this will do damage to the bulbs suchas overheating i obviously would like to know about it lol.

with my bumper i deleted my fogs but so im thinking that the only part of this mod that i'll be able to utilize is to have my DRL's come on full time, in which this thread and link is very useful and i plan on doing.

Agree that it should be sticky'd!
  8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have not done any diod mod/relay mode because I went the HID route and don't want to blind people with both highs and lows on at the same time.
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

you shouldnt need to run a larger alternator with this mod. I only have the fog/hi/lo combo so my drl's turn off but never had an issue and have had this setup for a couple years.
  10. Scooter

Scooter New Member 100 Posts

You should have no problem with blinding people as all the lights are only on when tge hi's are on...I just did this mod in less than ten minutes. And set so that when the lo's are on its just my lo's and Drl's are on....When I set my high beams on both the hi, lo's and the driving lights are on.