dipstick question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by oletrkguy, Jun 11, 2010.

1. oletrkguy

oletrkguy New Member

I have a 1984 Silverado C10 with a 350ci engine. The dip stick is on the right side of the engine but I noticed lately that I am getting some oil spray on the left side header. It is the last pipe on the left side that is getting oil splatter.
    In 1984 did they make the engine blocks so that the dipstick could be placed on either side of the block?
    There looks like a hole for the dipstick and it appears that the oil splatter is coming from that hole. http://www.coopscorner.com/84truck/dipstick.htm

The hole is not threaded and I was thinking about taking a bolt and cutting it off except for about 1/4 inch. I was going to put a little silicone around the head of the bolt and just let it setup in the hole. Do you guys think that will work, is there to much pressure coming out of the hole? Is there a plug that I can get that will plug the hole, the parts store guy didn't know of a plug made for that. Maybe the dealership would have something?

Is that hole even made for the dipstick or is it for something entirely different? I do appreciate any help and advice....
  2. voodoo 350

voodoo 350 New Member

:neutral:i agree from the pic that the oil is probably coming from there but if its a new problem there is likley a cause. i would say to check your pcv valve it may be clogged causing excessive pressure in your crank case and then its just the weakest link from there. the pressure can also be caused from worn rings!
  3. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member 100 Posts

Your crankcase should have vacuum on it, not pressure (if your PCV system is functioning correctly), in which case your method *should* work ok, however they do make plugs that you can tap in with a hammer that are better for the job.