Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Directional vs. nondirectional tread

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MrShorty, Mar 24, 2007.

1. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Been thinking of getting tires for the Suburban. Some nice, aggressive MT's. Over the years, I've noticed some directional MT's (like the Pro Comp Xterrains or the new style Kumho Venture MT's). I like the looks, and I've seen some good reviews, but I was wondering what your opinions are. Advantages of a directional tread? How much traction do you lose going backwards (like when you get started in and decide you need to back out)? I saw a trail rig at a neighbor's house the other day, and he had directional tires on his, the back tires rotate correctly, the front tires are on backwards, and I'm guessing it's so he doesn't lose as much when he goes backwards.

I'm not looking so much for someone to say, "just get the (favorite tire mfg)." I'm really looking for some discussion of directional tread vs. non -directional tread.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've had both directional and non-directional tires. I wasn't sold on the concept of having directional tires. I guess I don't really even think about it much when I go to buy tires.

The ride didn't necessarily seem like mch better, althought I suppose it could be designed for better off-roading, etc.
  3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I used to do a lot of off roading, but it was the poor man's off roading. I never really spent any money on the equipment, I just went and did it.
    If I were to start up again, I wouldn't go with directional tread. To me it seems more like a gimmick that isn't worth it's weight. I know it has advantages, but like you said, it becomes a question of how much can it help you in a situation that is not ideal for directional tread.

Your neighbor probably has the right idea, with his setup, but I guess you'd have to ask yourself what kind of off road traveling do you experience, Mostly rocky, muddy, soft sand?

For me, I'd be more concerned about mud, than anything else. I'm not so sure directional tread would help me much in that situation.