dirty engine

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by eightbol21, Apr 16, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. eightbol21

eightbol21 New Member

Might sound stupid but how do i clean my engine without killing it? I have an 09 with the 5.3 and live in farmville ca so its pretty dirty in there. It would be nice to do it without worriying about losing it to the dealer to get it running again. Thanks in advance for any help
  2. 07XCSB

07XCSB New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Get a good degreaser and a hose. Don't use a pressure washer. Just a garden hose with a spray nosel will be enough.
  3. eightbol21

eightbol21 New Member

Dont need to cover anything? Just low pressure?
  4. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well... look at it this way... when you are driving 65 in heavy rain, the engine bay gets soaked with rain water being blown and sucked through the grille and radiator. The fan sprays it like a fire hose. You should be fine, just don't use any high pressure to drill into the electronics...
  5. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I use the pressure washer but fan the spray all the way out and turn the pressure down. But under the engine is a different ballgame, let it soak in degreaser for about an hour or so then boom! Blast the hell out of it. I can't stand dirt and hate it when you're working on something, then move a part and all kinds of dirt comes down in your face.
  6. roughcntryrado

roughcntryrado New Member

Simple Green a hose and keep it running thats what i do.
  7. osgprometheus

osgprometheus New Member 100 Posts

Garden hose and good degreaser. Shut the engine off while you spray it down, and give it some time to let the water run down before starting it. Try your best to not directly spray the sensors and electronics. But you should be fine.
  8. eightbol21

eightbol21 New Member

Good info. Thank you guys again. Just a little worried about screwing something up. Looks like ill be trying it out this weekend