1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Disable automatic headlights on a 03 silverado

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by ChevyFarmKid, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ChevyFarmKid

ChevyFarmKid Rockstar

I was wondering if there is any way to disable the automatic headlights on my 03 silverado, other then turning the knob every time I start my truck?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you splice in a little resistor into one side of the wiring going into the ambient light sensor on the dash, it will trick the computer into thinking it is day time all the time. I did something similar by replacing the guts of a ambient light sensor with a blue led. The led gives the computer the resistance it needs to think that it is day time all the time. As a plus side of the the led trick, it looks like you have one of those aftermarket alarms with the small led on the dash. I did this to my truck and now, any time I put it into gear the DRL's come on. They stay on no matter what the light conditions are until I turn my light switch to headlights.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Does it matter which wire you splice the resistor into? Is there a certain size resistor you should use?
  5. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

As long as you splice into one of the two wires going either into or out of the sensor, it will work. The only important thing is that you get the resistor installed in the correct direction, otherwise it won't create the resistance you need. I don't remember what size resistor I used, but it doesn't have to be big, just large enough to create the small amount of resistance the computer needs to see to think it is daytime all the time.