disable TPMS?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 2wheelin, Nov 5, 2010.

1. 2wheelin

2wheelin New Member

Can the TPS (low tire pressure system) be disabled?
    Discount Tire wants $300 to replace all the sensors, say there bad. I say, screw this feature and turn it off. I don't need a friggen computer to tell me when to check my air pressure, I check it regularly!!
    I called a dealer, they said no. I find it hard to believe this can't be controlled.

2004 Suburban 1500

Thanks

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There really isnt a way to turn it off or disable it. The only solution that i have seen when people that i know have gone to different rims, was to remove the bulb from the cluster so you didnt have the warning light.

3. 2wheelin

2wheelin New Member

Tps

hmm..bummer. Didn't want to hear that. This is a crappy feature on cars.
    DAM GOVERNMENT!!! Frigg'n idiots ruin/run this world!!

4. bwoodmiles

bwoodmiles New Member

Have you seen the back of these new clusters there is no bulbs anymore to remove to forget that plan, its all leds built onto the circuit board. and 300 for a set of sensors isnt that bad really cost on them for me is 65 each.

5. ohiomossyoak

ohiomossyoak New Member

I work with tires..An i am curious how they are all bad??All at once?..How did they find this out?..Did you go in for a rotation or did you get new tires?.I know from my experience. Some of the full size GM trucks an SUVs.That have TPMS have to be re-calibrated wheel by wheel when moving wheel/tires..Or the system wont work the way the manufacturer intended..Caution needs to be taken when mounting an dismounting the tires on/off the wheels.Is it possible they damaged the sensor or sensor's an dont want to rectify the problem?I know it happens i have banged up a sensor or two as have guys i work with..We ALWAYS replace the part or parts free.Or send it to a dealer an cover the cost if need be.

6. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I saw on tv that you can get it disabled but you would need a special computer program or have a professional programmer do it for u.

7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

As to removing the bulb lets just say we did some "work" to get rid of it. But it worked we did it when he was doing a guage cluster face..
    As to the programmer etc i havent heard about it.. But then again im not really that big on the new trucks if you havent seen (all my cars are pretty old) so good luck and let us know what all you find out!