1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

discouraged

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by stevemay09, May 31, 2012.

1. stevemay09

stevemay09 New Member

I replaced my compressor and accumulator, flushed the evaporator and condenser, replaced o-rings, added the right amount of pag oil, put it on vaccuum for an hour, it held vaccuum for about 2 hours, so I added 2 lbs of refrigerant...the clutch won't engage, so I manually jumped it. it cools when I do this, though only down to about 58 degrees. When I turn the truck off, I have a lower reading than when I started. Damn.
  2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

3. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Well, a little more information could help.
    What are you working on, truck or suburban with rear a/c?
    what's the outside temp when you did this.
    Most any properly charged a/c system is best at a 25 degF temp drop across the evaporator. If your temp outside is 85 don't expect the discharge temp lower than 60.
    You should have a label under the hood that says exactly how many ounces of refrigerant your system was charged with.
    What was the reason for replacing the compressor and accumulator in the 1st place.
    What did you "manually jump" to get the compressor to engage.

Where are you taking your pressure reading from.
    After your system runs, you will have a pressure difference between the evaporator side and the condenser side, until the system equalizes. Could take as long as 10 minutes. Unless you have a restriction in the system somewere.

I'm not an automotive a/c expert by anymeans, but I do work with it some at the comercial level, and the principals are the same.
  4. stevemay09

stevemay09 New Member

thanks anyway

Hey, thanks for the reply Scott,
    It's working now...there were a couple of hiccups, my fault.I was working on a 1998 Chevy c-1500...I replaced everything and flushed the condenser and evaporator.When trying to charge, I had to jump the compressor from the battery to engage BECAUSE I had forgotten to take the high pressure switch off the old one, and install it on the new.Also, when I did a vacuum and it held for 2 hours, what I didn't realize was that the schreider valve on the low side leaks, which is probably what the original problem was. The mechanic that repaired it initially didn't catch that.I don't hear real good, but I took it in for a recharge after mine leaked mostly out, and the guy said he could "hear" it leaking out. Anyway, I spent about $500 bucks versus $800 or $900, and I got a couple of new tools out of the deal along with some experience. Also, I am riding in a nice, cold truck.Truck on!