Dismayed and at wits end

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Dave Mahaney, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Dave Mahaney

Dave Mahaney Member

Just came in from the cold. Truck is now running. It turned out to be a bad fuel pump. While I was testing it it would run then quit. Then for no apparent reason it would start up again. When it seemed too build excessive pressure it would quit. This site and all you guys have helped so much and thanks to all. I learned a lot.

2. silverado002

silverado002 Active Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Well, good for you. Thaw out and enjoy the rest of the day.

3. Dave Mahaney

Dave Mahaney Member

Still have to figure it out. Third pump in 6 months. Thanks again

4. silverado002

What kind of pumps are you getting. Sounds like a bad deal if they keep failing.

kennythewelder likes this.
  5. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

Same thoughts here. AC Delco or Delphi are about all I will run.

6. Dave Mahaney

Dave Mahaney Member

It's a Delphi. Thinking this has something to do with the OPS being bypassed. Maybe not allowing pcm to pulse properly? I think this truck was a flood rescue. Has a fine silt in rear diff and transmission. Changed fluid and filter twice and still fluid isn't right.

7. Dave Mahaney

Dave Mahaney Member

Just read that if I let fuel get too low pump gets hot and Burns up. Makes sense to me.

8. silverado002

If you have fine silt in those other componets then perhaps you have some in gas tank too?

9. Dave Mahaney

Dave Mahaney Member

I checked. It looked OK. Heat might be my enemy. I was low on fuel. Way into red. Truck has a lot of rust on frame maybe bad ground. So may variables.

10. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

So did you geter all fixed up Dave? I treat my gas gauge so that 1/4 to me is empty. Just something my Dad always told me to do, said its not good for the fuel pump to let it get below 1/4 of a tank, it could pick up crap and plug something up, changing a fuel pump is not fun and if need be you still have a 1/4 of a tank to make it home. before GMTC, everything I knew about working on vehicles came from him doing exactly what I do now, fix it myself.

you have a great night Dave!

CHEERS!

Al

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Goldie and kennythewelder like this.