1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Distribution block questions

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by TELORVEHC, Mar 2, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I was looking under the hood the other day, and it was looking like a rat's nest with all of the wires I have running off the battery to power my offroad lights and other accessories. So, being the neat freak that I am lol, I came across this distribution block to clean up the wiring----->http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=BC-3448 y'all think this will work if I run a single 4 ga. wire off the battery, then run the other accessories off the outputs, even though 2 of them are smaller than 8 ga. ? Also, I think 80 amp fuses will be enough for my other add-ons?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea it'll work, I use two like it that use spade fuses to power all the electricals in my rockcrawler Toyota.
    Search around the Marine websites and they have some very nice water proof ones available at decent prices.

3. TELORVEHC

Ok thanks for the clarification. Just wanted to be sure It would fulfill my needs before I went ahead and bought the distribution block.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Well what is the Amp draw of the lights? And everything else? Say each light runs 30 amps, If you use 2 lights per fuse opening then a 60 amp fuse should be used. Now the wire run off of the batt should also have a fuse within 12 in's of the Batt.. On the block if you have 2 60 amp fuse's then you will need a 120 by the Batt..

5. TELORVEHC

the lights are running less than 30 amps each I know that. And I already have a 120 amp fuse & holder ready to go, as I will be using that for when I install my sub. :glasses:

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Just don't go over 10% of your total amp draw at the Batt.. You want that fuse to blow if something goes wrong. So if the amp you are going to use pulls 40 Amps and the lights only pull about 10 amps then a 50-65 Amp fuse at the Batt is all you want to use..

7. TELORVEHC

The lights are essentially a pair of DDM 55w HIDs, according to DDM's website, they pull 6 amps at startup and 3.4 amps once they're warmed up. I have the 120 amp fuse that came with my wiring kit, which is why I was going to use that at the battery.