Distributor magnetic pickup

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by fugitive, Apr 5, 2014.

1. fugitive

fugitive Member

Working on 98 4.3 after replacing a coil with no resistance I have a hard start issue and a pretty noticble mis. I leaning toward an issue with the pick up under the rotor? anyone with testing info would be great!

2. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

HUMMMM,, Not much to go on there! Give it a total tune up first, then see! When running, grab the three wires coming out of the bottom of the dizzy and move them around. If it falters or dies, then you have your problem! It could be soooo many things, give it a tune up first !

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, the obvious question, to me, is why did you check the resistance of the coil?

Were you having a problem trying to start before you tested the coil?

4. fugitive

fugitive Member

Yes! pulled it out of the garage to work on the son's car and when I was done and ready to pull it back in no start issue tested the coil after fuel pressure and spark and that's where I noticed the weak yellow spark. At that point is where the resistance test on the coil came about along with testing of the all the wires, cap and rotor. Now I'm just going through the process of elimination. Since this transpired I have unplugged the TPS and the miss has stopped haven't tested the TPS yet waiting for daylight to check for a dead spot in the field. I have yet to rule this the solution without further testing of the other systems in the loop I do not believe in parts changing without just cause.

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Not sure I understand how the TPS could cause a mis-fire, a flat stop maybe, a timing change maybe. Does the '98 have a throttle cable?

6. fugitive

fugitive Member

Yes it does (have a throttle cable ) and the result of a flat spot in the field of the tps would tell the pcm to back off the fuel pressure which in turn results in a mis-fire. Like a small electrical short in the system if I understand the system correctly. This the last year of the C series that is drive time data unable through the OBD11.

7. zuki82

Boy Howdy!! You swung that cat all the way around, HUH! LOL! I wanna know , how does the TPS affect the weak spark? You had a "no start" situation, and now ,here we are, at the TPS! I think a bad coil will cuase a miss fire too.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, My bad! I went back thru and reread it, AGAIN! Think I'm on track now!

time to ponder!

8. fugitive

fugitive Member

Man you had me going being a slow reader but. I do like to troubleshoot and not just through parts at issues without proving them out. The missfire disease has allot of variables!!!!!!!!

9. zuki82

Well, then, first I wanna say welcome aboard! Second, I'll be coming to you when I have problems! I generally don't have a lot of time to do a lot of testing! Now that spring is here, I can let the truck sit while I ride the bike to work and back, get some things fixed up and ready for next winter!

10. fugitive

fugitive Member

I'll help when I can. But to be totally honest I have learned all my testing proceedures from being a boat owner for over 20yrs and researching the net and y-tube's scanneir danner (he's a geniuess) with diagnostics. But more to my point I keep experiencing a steady miss when it rains this morning my ride to work was very frustrating which is leading me to a short of some sort which can be a very time consuming process which I'm not looking forward to.