1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Disturbed Distributor

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jparrishable, Apr 21, 2013.

1. jparrishable

jparrishable New Member

91 Sonoma 4.3. Distributor was left unmarked then pulled and crankshaft had been turned prior to re-install. Under hood info reads Set timing to 0 BTC. So, how do you find BTC? What procedure do you follow to re-install this disturbed distrib?
  2. geo1

geo1 Member 100 Posts

o.k. remember crank turns twice of camshaft,so you will have 2 times on balancer marks to 1 actual revolution.hence,4 stroke motor,suck,squeeze,pop,fart. 4 stroke! without removing valvecover disconnect coil wire,just turn over motor with starter with 1 plug removed,have finger in plug hole,feel for the stronger pressure,comp.stroke is more pronounced than exhaust stroke,this all happens right before the mark on balancer comes to timing mark on motor,do short bursts on starter,so if you pass a little,just turn back by hand,when setting dist.point rotor at no 1 cyl.(drivers side front)you have to hold the dist. by hand with slight pressure while cranking motor again to line up oil pump drive,once it sets down doublecheck timing again,install hold down lightly to turn to time,if i missed anything,ill be here
  3. jparrishable

jparrishable New Member

Awesome. One more thing to clear up for me. Pointing rotor toward #1 cyl (between cap terminal 2 and 1?) sets up to fire #1 just before TDC? I re-installed the distrib firstly by finding TDC but I set the rotor pointing directly at
    distrib cap Term #1, no good. When I cranked to find TDC, near the timing mark on balancer air escaped spark port #1...this could be the exhaust stroke? Would it still run, all be it badly, if timing was set up on the wrong stroke?
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  4. geo1

geo1 Member 100 Posts

do it again,you will feel a stronger escape on compression stroke,if uncertain,crank again to make sure youre not on exhaust(fart)stroke,remember i mentioned to go a little counterclockwise when setting dist.the gear is curved(for lack of a correct term)do you understand that last step about the oil pump drive?cause the dist.will be high in its mount,so when it drops,sometimes you are a.t.d.c.
  5. jparrishable

jparrishable New Member

10-4 on the oil pump drive. So set rotor off a bit counter clockwise and when it seats the rotor point will be pointing directly forward of engine and at the cap term#1?
  6. geo1

geo1 Member 100 Posts

you got it,if youre not 100% sure,spin it again,doesnt take much time to be 100%,bit confusing at first,probably my fault,once you got it youre good to go on all dist.motors!
  7. jparrishable

jparrishable New Member

Thanks alot for the help. Im gonna get back at it soon. Prob after prob on this thing so far and a second experienced opinion is a load off. Im just burnt out on this electronically controled, 20 yr old nightmare. Thanks again Geo1.
  8. geo1

geo1 Member 100 Posts

dist.cap type?

does youre cap have straight up terminals,in my book shows both for that year,straight up or wire leaving cap on side of motor needed,not to firing order?hope i didnt mess things up
  9. jparrishable

jparrishable New Member

straight up type

- - - Updated - - -

165432 firing order I believe
  10. geo1

geo1 Member 100 Posts

stay with the bowtie!a bit troublesome,but less then others

- - - Updated - - -

i didnt answer this one,cause i dont know,yes a chev v-8 will run 180 out,been there,done that,kinda got my stuff together,so by the time for 4.3,i never needed to find out the hard way