Ditching 20's for GMC 17's - TPMS question

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by maximumrob, Sep 16, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. maximumrob

maximumrob New Member

Gentlemen,

It's time for tires on my LTZ and I have aftermarket 20's that were on the truck when used. Two of lug nut/hub covers are gone and of course the wheel manufacturer is out of business. Since I can't have THAT for very long without puking and it's time to replace tires, I'm considering purchasing 2012 GMC 4x4 17" wheels with Goodyears already on them.

If those don't have the TPMS that my current wheels do, will I run in to any challenges when I take both old and news sets to the tire shop to have them move my TPMS over?

Thanks!
    maximumrob
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member 100 Posts

You do not need to have the original tpms sensors... when you get your new rims and tires on just follow the discovery/reprogram sequence for your vehicle and it will find the new sensors.
  3. maximumrob

maximumrob New Member

Thanks! If the new wheels don't have TPMS, is it at all difficult to move the TPMS over to them from my current wheels?
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member 100 Posts

No problem to move them to the new rims... Most shops will do this... Normally they want the tires completely removed from the rim (to avoid damage to them) for installation and/or removal. Still cheaper than buying new ones.