1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DIY Magnaflow exhaust install

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Paladin, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Paladin

Paladin Member

I am considering installing a Magnaflow cat back exhaust in my 00 w 4.8L. (I am still debating between the singe vs dual exhaust.)

Considering the $690+ price just for the system I am wondering how difficult it would be to install it myself.

I have a level concrete driveway, 3 ton jack and 4 jack-stands., a 122 piece Craftsman 1/4-Inch, 3/8-Inch, 1/2-Inch mechanic tool set with both metric and standard sockets. I also have an Ingersall-Rand impact wrench and ratchet set (caught a sale at Lowe's I could not pass on).

Has anyone installed a cat back system themselves and how difficult was it?
    ChevyFan likes this.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sounds like you have everything required for the basic install.
    Additional items needed if you run into problems might be drill, easy out set, sawzall or a cutoff tool.
    Not a hard install to complete.
    Make sure it has pipe hangers, a mig welder can make the install a little cleaner job than bolt and clamp but it isnt absolutely required.
    Ive done a few after cat installs, worst problem I ever had was removing the old exhaust, cutting off/grinding hanger welds, rusted stuck bolts, and leak free install of the new system if bolting together.
    ChevyFan likes this.
  3. Paladin

Paladin Member

Thanks tbplus10.

I do not have a sawzall but I do have a Rotozip with a cutoff wheel. I also do not know how to weld so I will have to depend on the clamps and insure they are tight. I am thinking perhaps using Loctite 242.
  4. JnBama

JnBama Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Get a can of PB Blaster solvent, has a strong odor so easy with the spray. Magnaflow may have instructions to download and plenty of U Tube video. Good luck, be safe and wear safety glasses!:glasses:
    ChevyFan likes this.
  5. Paladin

Paladin Member

Thanks for the tip jnbama.

Safety is always paramount with me. I use jack stands and wheel blocks even when i am just changing the oil.
  6. JnBama

you mentioned the price, local shop here $390 installed Magnaflow duels with 18" angle cut chrome tips.
    Guess for that price will be bolt on, just need to make plans to leave my truck one morning.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  7. Paladin

Paladin Member

Is that for the whole cat back system or just the muffler?

Just about all the on-line retailers had it at $690+ for the whole system. Guess I will call around locally and see what pops up.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Local prices will be cheaper.
    The difference between the two exhaust systems will be:
    Bolt on cat back will have mandrel bent tubes.
    Possibly be aluma coated or something similiar.
    And wont allow many options for where the pipes exit.

Local install:
    Welded on.
    Options on where to exit.
    lower cost.

Whats your goal with this exhaust? Is it a stepping stone for engine performance additions down the road?
    Or are you looking to get better exhaust sound and the look of dual exhaust.
    ChevyFan likes this.
  9. Paladin

Paladin Member

I am looking for a little better performance a nice sound and improved appearance provided with a single to dual exhaust.

You mentioned the lower price exhausts most likely being aluma-coated. This probably explains the price difference. The ones on-line are stainless steel.
  10. JnBama

Sure it will be alum coat , shop owner suggested the 18" tips on duel exits under bumper, if you want to see pics of some his installs look up Clanton Muffler Madison , AL. would like pictures of yours