1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DIY Manuals

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by inetfreak, Dec 19, 2011.

1. inetfreak

inetfreak New Member

Hey all. I was wondering which DIY Manual is better for working on a 2000 Silverado, Chilton, or Haynes, or is there another choice?

Thanks
    Dave
  2. glendayle

glendayle New Member

3. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Helms manuals. They cost more - a lot more. Helms publishes the GM factory manuals for you truck. Chilton and Haynes have their place. The decision of which to buy is best determined by how long you plan to keep this truck, you skill level, and your willingness to tackle most things rather than pay someone.

In my opinion, there is no difference between Chilton or Haynes. In fact, the only difference Chilton, Haynes and Charmin is that Charmin is softer and easier to flush.....:)
  4. inetfreak

inetfreak New Member

Thanks for the response.....I think I'll wait a while on the manual till I see how this truck works out. I've only owned it for a couple days and haven't had it checked out by my mechanic yet.

Thanks again
    Dave
  5. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

This is a great site for information and there social forums are fun too. Good luck with your truck.
  6. BReeves

BReeves New Member

Now that I'm retired and living on a fixed income I'm having to do allot more work on our vehicles. Before I'd just take it to the dealer, let them deal with whatever the problem was and go on. I discovered https://www.alldatadiy.com/ and have really grown to like it. Navigation can be a bit challenging, but once you understand how to find what you are looking for the info is invaluable.

Not affiliated with them in any way, just an alternate to the printed manual and much better than most.
  7. inetfreak

inetfreak New Member

Thanks, I'll definitely look into it!!

Dave
  8. Cujonaut

Cujonaut New Member

I've always gone with Chilton's. For the most part they are more specific about how to break a particular part down and put it back together. This is really important for a guy like me who doesn't like taking stuff to a mechanic and doesn't like ending up with spare nuts & bolts after a job is done.
  9. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts