1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DIY muffler install w. clamps

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ridick_bowen, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member

How hard is it to install a aftermarket muffler using clamps? I know that my pipes are 3" inlet and outlet, so I need to get a muffler that is 3" in and out.

I'm going to use clamps and extra tubing from autozone. What size do the clamps need to be?
  2. Getting ready to attempt the same project myself. I called summitracing.com and ordered the Magnaflow XL, 3" center in/out. I told them I wanted band-style clamps, as a member on this board suggested I get that kind. I was told there are two kinds, a lap and butt. Not only did the sales rep know which kind I should get, he knew the size too, and even explained how it was to be put together with the pipe. He was very helpful. You may want to call them. Just a suggestion from a total newbie. :)
  3. mike54

mike54 New Member

when I worked on cars back in 60's & 70's exhuast systems where clamped togeather from the factory it was easier for back yard mechanics to work on them.
  4. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member

This should be a simple process. I'll have to slide under my truck first to see what I have to work with.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Go to the mufflers manufactures website and they should list a direct replacement muffler so no pipe extension would be needed. A few days before the swap, soak the stock muffler and clamps with a rust desolver (WD 40, Blaster etc.)
  6. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member

So I'm picking up a used Flowmaster original 40 series muffler. It's 2.5" in/out and one of the louder mufflers. I want something quieter but I'm going to put this bad boy on anyways.

My question is: How can I make the muffler quieter? Should I run all 2.5" tubing? Or can I stick something in the muffler to shut it up a lil?

Also, I believe my stock tubing is 3" so by downsizing the tube size, it should quiet the muffler down? Right?
  7. hundojoe

hundojoe New Member

Install some new muffler bearings and that should take care of the noise.
  8. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member

Too much turkey caused some laziness, thus, I ended up at the local muffler shop. $40 to install my ****. It's decent. not too loud but noticable. Highway criusing isn't bad depending upon my right foot.