DIY shocks k1500 suburban

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by FergusonT, Aug 11, 2010.

1. FergusonT

FergusonT Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

My 99 K1500 suburban is about overdue for some shocks....I have never done shocks before... the rears look like a fairly easy job. But the fronts make me a little nervous. Just wanna hear what you guys that have done fronts have to say, and also what kind of shocks you guys have had the best luck with. Thanks.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I have blistens in mine.. And the fronts really arent that bad.. Just take the tire off and take your time and you will be good to go.. I know that There are quite a few threads on shocks in the Suspension forum and there you will have the ability to read other peoples opinions of different brands and styles.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 on the Bilstein shocks. A few days before you change them spray some Blaster or like spray to help loosen the nuts and bolts. As murdog94 said just take your time. Also check the nut and bolt sizes before you start to make sure you have all the wrench/socket sizes.

4. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

I'll 2nd spraying the bolts a few days b/4...Shocks aren't that bad to change, just take your time.

5. FergusonT

sounds good...i definitely planned to spray them. I bet i dont have the correct sizes for the nuts and bolts....good call on that one.

6. FergusonT

Anybody order shocks online? I am lookin for the best place to find these bilsteins....

7. silveradotrailblazer

8. FergusonT

Does anybody have any experience with Rancho shocks....I see they have like a $50 rebate if you buy 4 of the rs5000 series shocks

9. silveradotrailblazer

It depends on which Rancho's your talking about. The adjustable aren't bad, but the rest are stiff. I have Bilsteins on my lifted '96 after trying the Rancho's. Another good shock is the Edelbrock, have them on my Silverado. Those RS5000's are stiff.

10. FergusonT

Thats definitely good to know....I really want to go with the Bilsteins considering the many suggestions throughout this forum...sounds like they are the way to go. I think I may do the fronts, then wait a while to do the rears. My rear tires are wearing fine.....fronts not so good...and the truck just had ball joints and all that good stuff done to it before i bought it. Shocks should make this truck ride and handle like new. Thanks for the heads up on the Rancho's