GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

DIY shocks k1500 suburban

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by FergusonT, Aug 11, 2010.

1. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

My 99 K1500 suburban is about overdue for some shocks....I have never done shocks before... the rears look like a fairly easy job. But the fronts make me a little nervous. Just wanna hear what you guys that have done fronts have to say, and also what kind of shocks you guys have had the best luck with. Thanks.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

I have blistens in mine.. And the fronts really arent that bad.. Just take the tire off and take your time and you will be good to go.. I know that There are quite a few threads on shocks in the Suspension forum and there you will have the ability to read other peoples opinions of different brands and styles.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

X2 on the Bilstein shocks. A few days before you change them spray some Blaster or like spray to help loosen the nuts and bolts. As murdog94 said just take your time. Also check the nut and bolt sizes before you start to make sure you have all the wrench/socket sizes.
  4. wis bang

wis bang New Member

I'll 2nd spraying the bolts a few days b/4...Shocks aren't that bad to change, just take your time.
  5. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

sounds good...i definitely planned to spray them. I bet i dont have the correct sizes for the nuts and bolts....good call on that one.
  6. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

Anybody order shocks online? I am lookin for the best place to find these bilsteins....
  7. silveradotrailblazer

8. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

Does anybody have any experience with Rancho shocks....I see they have like a $50 rebate if you buy 4 of the rs5000 series shocks
  9. silveradotrailblazer

It depends on which Rancho's your talking about. The adjustable aren't bad, but the rest are stiff. I have Bilsteins on my lifted '96 after trying the Rancho's. Another good shock is the Edelbrock, have them on my Silverado. Those RS5000's are stiff.
  10. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

Thats definitely good to know....I really want to go with the Bilsteins considering the many suggestions throughout this forum...sounds like they are the way to go. I think I may do the fronts, then wait a while to do the rears. My rear tires are wearing fine.....fronts not so good...and the truck just had ball joints and all that good stuff done to it before i bought it. Shocks should make this truck ride and handle like new. Thanks for the heads up on the Rancho's
  11. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

Let us know how you like them.. Im going to be in the market for new shocks before to long and want something that works well in the ride department.... And input from actual use is a great thing!
  12. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

Might be a while before I actually do the job...but I will post some results as soon as I do.
  13. hundojoe

hundojoe New Member

Go with the Rancho RS9000's you can adjust the ride handling to suit your driving needs. I wont run any other shock. Just my opinion. Good Luck.
  14. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

Just ordered some Bilsteins for the front, we'll see how they work, now gotta get some tires. Anybody have any suggestions on tires? I have some BFgoodrich long trail t/a's on right now, but I really don't want to spend $120/tire to replace them.
  15. silveradotrailblazer

How many miles did you get out of the BFG's, They may be worth $120.00 a tire.
  16. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

I bought the truck earlier this year with those tires on it.....so I cant judge them because #1 i have only put about 3k on it since I have owned it, and #2 the previous owner waited too long to do the ball joints because the tires were pretty much toast when I got the truck. He did have documentation of all the work done, he just never got new tires. Probably figured he was just going to get rid of it anyways. I can't say they wouldn't be worth the money, I'm just not sure I want to pay that much for tires. But I just found some General Tire Grabber AT2 tires that got some pretty decent reviews. I would really like to do some all terrains except I am afraid they are going to be worthless on the highway. I guess I don't really want to spend $120 for tires unless they are going to do good off road too. the long trails seem like they would just be a good highway tire. Any thoughts?
  17. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

Im not a fan of the Long trails. I had a set on my blazer and they sucked really bad. Especially in the snow, and in the mud there just wasnt enough traction.
    I went to Bridgestone Duelers. They are really good in the snow, mud, and quiet on the highway... They have nearly 19K miles on them and still look new (not sure on tread depth exactly but id say 90%) and i got a screaming deal on them. it was litterally buy one get one free!
    I really havent run a lot of General tires, but the set i had on my first chevy truck were good.
  18. silveradotrailblazer

I've run BFG's A/T's and M/T's. The A/T's are good for at least 60,000 miles and I think there a good comprimise for a street and off-road tires. I've never had a set of Bridgstone Duelers, but have friends with them and they say they like them and they wear well. We had Bridgstones ( don't remmeber what model) 275/45-20 on my wifes 2wd Trailblazer. They were 40,000 mile warranty tires, we got 60,000 out of them.
  19. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

As far as the price, I think these Generals look like they are the best "bang for your buck"...I think I priced them around $120 at sears, before mounting and balancing and all the other good stuff. I think I will price these Duelers out, seems like I have seen them around on some nice lookin' trucks.
  20. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

Also if you can find out who else sells the brand of tires that you want in the local area. Here in MN Sears costs quite a bit more than a local shop etc....