1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DIY window tinting ... Can I pull it off with NO EXPERIENCE?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by jlbf0786, Oct 4, 2011.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 New Member

I'm wanting to get my trucks windows tinted and the prices in Charlotte are pretty high.. So
    I've been thinking about trying to do it myself.

Anyone here install their own tint without prior experience and have it turn out great ??
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I've tried it before and it was a disaster. Never gonna do it again.

Now that's it's getting cooler outside you should be able to find someone that will cut you a deal. ?? If you want to do it yourself just make sure to take your time I think.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Save your money until you have enough for a professional to tint your windows. Most people who tint there own windows regret it and it looks like they did it themselves.
  4. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 New Member

I probably will wait and let someone that knows what their doing take care of it for me!
    It's worth spending $100-$150 for all 4 door windows if its done right..

I don't have alot of patience and taking my time isn't my strong-suit.

Preciate the feedback
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

$100-$150 is not bad for 4drs. Does that include the rear window?
  6. I do my own every year. (Usually have to peel off for inspection sticker) If you don't like how it comes out, peel it off. Tint costs about $15 for two doors, so I think it is worth a shot if you have a couple free hours. The important thing is to go slowly. This may help as a guide.

**Edit, just noticed this, "I don't have alot of patience and taking my time isn't my strong-suit."

Maybe you should have someone do it.:great:
  7. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 New Member

$150 for all 4 doors but the rear window wasnt quoted from the company i spoke with.. (they're just a really small 2 man operation) but they seem to do good work.

- i'd rather it be done the right way, im sure i could pull it off.. but theres too much that can easily go wrong with this.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

$150 isnt a bad price.
    I did a few of my vehicles years ago when I couldnt afford to pay the price for installation but everytime I finished I'd tell myself next time I'm gonna pay to get it done.
    It really isnt hard to do but it can be frustrating, you need a nice clean area that doesnt have any wind and lots of patience with steady hands.
  9. Greg84

Greg84 New Member

I did it myself, but I cheated and ordered a pre-cut kit online. All I had to do was make sure the window was spotless, get the window and film wet with soapy water, slide it into position, and squeegee it out. Turned out perfect.

I tried cutting my own tint for the back window on an S10 about 10 years ago, I didn't have as good of luck with that. Wrinkled the material trying to hold it in place to cut it to the right size and that wrinkle was always visible..
  10. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 New Member