1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DL3 Mirror Conversion 08 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by drunkinrabbits, Jun 14, 2008.

1. drunkinrabbits

drunkinrabbits New Member

I have a 08 LT1 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 2wd (NBS). I am in the process of having fully functional DL3 mirrors. I purchased the DL3 mirrors from Ebay and installed them. I have functionality of the power mirror and LED turn signal on both mirrors. The only thing left that I really need is the power folding feature.

The DL3 mirrors have two wire cable connectors, 1 black connector and 1 white connector. I was only able to connect the black wire connector to my current switch/module on the driver and passenger side. There was no other spot/connection/adapter available to connect the white wire cable connector from the DL3 mirror on either side. So again currently I only have the power mirror and LED turn signal working with that white wire connector going nowhere (not connected).

So then I purchased the DDS (Driver Door Switch) and the PDS (Passenger Door Switch) for the Silverado, needed to have use of the power folding feature (the driver switch with the button to fold the mirrors) and to be able to connect that white wire cable for both sides (I’m assuming I needed the PDS as well).

Now I am able to connect both the black and white connectors from the DL3 mirrors to driver and passenger switch. But now the connections/cables that are there (the ones for power windows/ power door lock-unlocked/ side mirror adjustment/etc…) will not fit/connect to the new switches on either side.

My question is now are there wire harness adapters that I need to connect the rest of the cables (power windows/ power door lock-unlocked/ side mirror adjustment/etc …) to the new switches?? Or what do I need to do now (or what do I need to buy) in order to make this conversion (DL8 mirrors to DL3 mirrors) possible??

If anyone has done this please advise. If any pictures are needed from the old /new switches or cable wire connectors please let me know and I will try and post.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chevy Silverado DL3 Switch Numbers
    Silverado Driver Side: 15906881
    Silverado Passenger Side: 15906880
  2. DrewsZ71

DrewsZ71 New Member

Hey man, Im in the same boat. I havent installed my mirrors yet but im currently in the process of doing so. So am i right to assume that the door panels must come off to get to the mirror connector(s)? How much did you pay for both of the switches? Let me know if you find out anything and i'll do the same.
  3. drunkinrabbits

drunkinrabbits New Member

Yes the door panels need to come off in order to swap out the mirrors. For both switches I paid $80.09 each plus shipping. I ordered other things so you might end up paying with shipping like $95 per switch.
    chevy Parts
    I have as of yet to find out any new info for this conversion of DL8 to DL3 mirrors on the silverado.

Please let me know if you find out anything.

Thanks.
  4. DrewsZ71

DrewsZ71 New Member

Well i got mine installed the other day, and i see what you mean about the "extra white" connector. I've been doing some research and apparently alot of people have been doing the DL8 to the DL3 swap.

The problem i've been reading about is having the body control module reflashed so that the switches will work. From what i've read thats all you need to do, now that you got the switches you need. Alot of people have been saying is that the dealership wont reflash them if they don't already have them installed. Some dealerships are doing and some wont because of what gm says.

The best bet is to go to the dealer and say that the dealer you bought your truck from put them on as an option but the mirrors don't fold anymore. Or just play dumb with them. In my case I have a regular cab Z71 with all the bells and whistles so its gonna be impossible for me to get a switch that has the powerfold switch with only 2 window switches...lol

Anyways, I hope this helped if you didn't already read any of this elsewhere. Good Luck
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the write-up. There are others on here that are searching for the same thing. I'm going to plug www.gmpartsclub.com as they do have these in stock and are very competitive in pricing while giving great service.
    Chevy Parts
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

GM renamed some of the part numbers for this.

7. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton New Member

Thanks for the insightful write up! Am hoping to up grade my 2009 GMC SL Crew cab with the power adjust/heated, to the auto dimming/turn signal/power fold ones. Was told it was almost impossible to do. Difficult, but not impossible after all! Guess the first thing I should do is talk to the dealer to see where I start. Thanks again & will be writing again as I'm a little thick so takes me a while to absorb.
  8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

i think i have the DL8 mirrors and I am looking to go to the DLN.... dosnt look like it will be to bad.

thanks for the posts guys! should help me out in the future.

Alex
  9. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton New Member

Were you able to find out about the wiring harness? I've a crew cab and want to do the same conversion. Right now I have heated/power adjust. Do you know anything about the "approaching vehicle" option? Figure there must be a lot of other parts involved than just the mirrors.