1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do 2010 Silverado's use vaccum lines anymore?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by alkaspeltzar, Aug 15, 2011.

1. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 New Member 100 Posts

What's your deal? Simma down, the guy has a question and he's looking for an answer.
  2. travisn

travisn New Member

dude you obviously didnt read the tread. I ended up helping him out. you sim.sim.sim.simsimsimsima donna.
  3. alkaspeltzar

alkaspeltzar New Member

I still have the same issue, notice a vaccum leak sound at higher rpms. The booster is good, brakes are good. I am running out of ideas. Exhaust was tested with smoke, all looks good.

I wonder if it is not an exhaust leak or vaccum leak? I had an old car once that had a rubber boot out of place on the firewall, lots of noise came through. Could something like that be happieing? ANy suggestions where to look?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
  4. travisn

travisn New Member

That might be are there has to be a way for the steering column to get from the cab to engine bay.
  5. mthomas

mthomas New Member

your engine does not develop vacuum at high rpm's
  6. alkaspeltzar

alkaspeltzar New Member

I have tightend down all the bolts and check all the rubber boots of things entering the firewall. Everything from the parking brake cable to the steering shaft boot. I found the cover to the steering shaft to not be snug, which could have been allowing the noise. Things are finally sounding better.

I Have talked to the dealer and also taken a couple news ones now for a drive. I think because of the V4 cylinder mode runs on the driver's side, along with the big empty space, I think more noise is hear on the drivers side. Seemed to be consistent with the 2011 I took for a drive.

THings have been good, so lets hope it was just that!.

Thanks
  7. travisn

travisn New Member

Nice! Glad to hear you've sorted the issue out.
  8. chaz1

chaz1 New Member

Same sound on 2011 5.3 when truck is lagging from 4 to 8 cylinders

alkaspeltzar,

My truck "hisses" in 4 cylinder mode. I can feel the truck struggle to keep speed. The mph start to drop a bit, it growls, then "bump", it jumps to 8 cylinders and the hiss is gone. It is a very similar sound to a vacuum hose leaking.

GM's M.O. is to give you a "like" vehicle to test drive and if you say it has the "same" issues, they will not attempt to correct it. This is documented by GM regarding widespread driveline issues with the newer 5.3 liter six speeds. That doesn't mean you don't have a unique issue, it just gives the sales manager an "out" and keeps GM from having to pay the dealer for warranty issues.

Were you offered a ride in the "new ones" or did you ask the dealer to drive one for comparison?

What did they say after you drove the 2011?
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

glad this got fixed for you!
  10. alkaspeltzar

alkaspeltzar New Member

In a nutshell, this is exactly what i do hear:

"My truck "hisses" in 4 cylinder mode. I can feel the truck struggle to keep speed. The mph start to drop a bit, it growls, then "bump", it jumps to 8 cylinders and the hiss is gone. It is a very similar sound to a vacuum hose leaking."

I thought i was hearing it at higher RPMS, but that was just engine/induction sounds I believe most cars have at higher speeds.

I dealt directly with my technician and sailman. I took one for a test drive without either present. THe 2011 i drove sounded the same, that was my opinion. But i never told them that since i was/still expecting an explaination of the present sounds.

Supposively, there is a ticket into GM with the issue.