1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do 3.73s come in new trucks anymore???

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Rebel_Bowtie, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Rebel_Bowtie

Rebel_Bowtie New Member

So like I said, I'm currently vehicle-less and I've been looking at 2010-2013 crew cab z71 silverados (LTs) and sierras (SLEs). What I noticed is that with the new 6 speed tranny, they all have 3.42 rear axles except for the VMAXs. What happened to the 3.73s?? I don't know if I can bring myself to buy a 5.3L with 3.43s six-speed or not! HELP!!
  2. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

The crew cab Silverados with the 5.3L engine and 3.42 rear axle tows 9600lbs when equipped with the heavy duty trailering package.

The Voretc Max gives you 10700 lbs max towing.

Is there a particular reason you absolutely need 3.73 rear axle?

My 2008 Silverado had a 3.73 rear axle, but it only had the 4 speed automatic.

IMO, if I were going to tow more than 9000lbs on a regular basis, I would get a 2500HD, maybe with a Duramax.
  3. Rebel_Bowtie

Rebel_Bowtie New Member

Not necessarily.. I do move about every 2-3 years but I don't tow anything on a 'regular' basis. I guess I was just worried that the 3.42s/6-speed would heat up too much off-roading or towing from shifting more than the old 4-speed 3.73s. But if not, my fears are put to rest. Thanks for the info.