Do Belltech Shocks help ride on 2006?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Headman30, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Headman30

Headman30 New Member

I have a 2006 extended cab and my truck rides horribly. I love the way it looks, I love the interior, I love everything about my truck except the bouncy ride. I've considered going with the Sulastic Hangers to help this, but I don't know if they work, plus they are $400. I was told by Belltech that their "Street Perfomance" line of shocks smooths this problem out. Does anyone know anything about this? Or is there any other shocks that may help? I've tried putting the weight in the bed and it is only minimal help, plus it hurts my gas mileage... and I'm tired of people asking why I have bags of sand in my bed.

2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wow, this is kind of unusual -usually Chevy trucks are softly suspended.
    Is it dead stock?
    Is it a 1/2 ton?

Did you get some sort of sport package or offroad from the factory? Did the PO(if you didn't buy new) change the shocks/springs?

Do you have tall wheels-18-20" with shorter sidewalls-16" tire wheels combos ride best-nice tall sidewall?
    Checked yourtire pressure-? stock psi?

Could someone have screwed around with the torsion bars in the front? If it has them?

I would make sure you have the stock "low performance" no "offroad or sport" package of shocks and springs in it.If you don't have the "normal" suspension package, you can get it cheaply as takeoffs on Ebay.

Charlie

I know all about sandbags for ride softening.They broke loose on my almost new Titan and kinda crushed the back wall!! I used milk jugs filled with water on my 1986 Toyota( worst riding truck I ever had).It took 40 milk jugs strung along the back with 2 size taller tires to make it bearable as I got older.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. Headman30

Headman30 New Member

Everything is factory. I've done some research on this, and it's a common problem with the 1/2 ton Silverados. Chevy won't do anything about it because there's no safety hazzard. I've heard about the new Tundras having this problem also. I'm kinda used to it, but my wife HATES riding in my truck.

4. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

I test drove an 05 and an 06 Silverado 1500 Ext-cab std bed trucks today, rode just as smooth as I could possibly want in a truck. It was slightly bouncy at first, both trucks had been sitting on the lot for a while and I suspect the tires were a little 'flat spotted', on both it went away after a few miles. I did test drive a '05 Silverado 2500HD Ext-cab Long bed last week and the ride in it was a bit bouncy. The dealer said a tire was out of balance but I don't think so.

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Headman30,
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Do you think your and other 06's Chevys are exceptions- maybe there is some sort of defect-too much stiction in a few lots of shocks, or maybe the wrong valving- ?

Have you driven other 06's 07's 08"?

Before you spend any $$ maybe you can drive a few other 06 on Chevys. If some are good,some harsh,then maybe there is a screwup somewhere? It might be a simple fix- get some shocks from another lot number.On Ebay takeoffs are cheap.

I doubt the Belltech setup would do any good.No matter what they say, aftermarket stuff always seems to be performance oriented-STIFF!

Years ago when I was hunting for a fix for my buckboard Toyota , I ran across some sort of gadget made by one of the big rubber companies- maybe Firestone,Goodyear,Uniroyal- just can't remember. It claimed to soften the ride by having some sort of "link" that actually flipped in some way.I can't remember much detail.It was promoted for unloaded heavy weight trucks with stiff rides,I think.
    Is the Belltech some sort of setup like that? I'll look.

Charlie