Do Bilstein shocks add lift?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by austint65, Jul 31, 2014.

1. austint65

austint65 New Member

Do the bilsteins lift the truck any higher because i heard they do

- - - Updated - - -

Do the bilsteins lift the truck any higher because i heard they do

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

**POST MOVED FROM MAY 2011 ROTM NOMINATIONS THREAD TO IT'S OWN THREAD IN THE GENERAL TECH SUB FORUM**

It is a general rule of thumb that shocks do not add any height to a truck. Unless you add a coil over shock, which are expensive. The shock mounts are not built to hold the weight of the truck, so using coil overs can result in broken mounts if the truck is overloaded. It will ride much better with bilsteins, but will not be higher. The shocks do not hold the weight of the vehicle up, they just stop it from bouncing on the springs.

3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

If the shocks you are replacing are no longer going back to full height and it has caused your springs to sag then you would see a temporary lift back to factory until the new shocks wear in from dealing with the vehicles weight. Bilstein does make shocks that are build for if you have a lift on the truck because factory height shock would no longer work.

4. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 100 Posts

In nnbs they make adjustable struts that have 3 settings, not sure but I think its stock +1 and +2.5

5. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Along the lines of the OP's question, I came to find out if I want to install a leveling kit on my 2001, I will need "taller" shocks. I get that the shocks themselves don't lift the truck but how do I know if a shock I am going to buy is taller than my OE shocks? Does anyone have any recommendations for taller shocks for a 2001 Silverado?

6. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 100 Posts

go to whatever company you wants site and look up part #s, like if you go to rancho's site you can enter in year make model and then front and rear lifted heights and it will tell you what part # you need for whatever amount of lift you have.

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree. My truck looked higher for about 24 hours, then it was back to where it was before the bilsteins

8. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

While I would agree in general that shock mounts are not designed to carry the full load of a truck, they are designed to take some of the load for extended periods of time. Consider all of the self leveling designs and options offered on stock vehicles.