1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do brake shoes have a wear indicator???

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by brtt485, Jun 10, 2009.

1. brtt485

brtt485 Member

So I was on my way to work this morning and I was sitting in traffic when I noticed that I was getting a quick high pitched noise at what seemed to be the same point in each rotation of the tire. My last pickup was a GMC and the wear indicator on the front pads created a very similar sound at a certain point in the wheel/tire rotation. However, the pads and rotors up front are about 3,000 miles old so I was wondering if the shoes had a wear indicator.

I have never come across a wear indicator on shoes in the past but...... It's a 2006 1500 LT Extended Cab 4x4 w/ the 5.3L.

It has about 70,000 and I havent changed the shoes yet. How many miles are you guys getting out of your rear shoes?

Any ideas on what I am hearing?

Thanks!
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Does that not have discs on the back?
  3. brtt485

brtt485 Member

I wish! Drums in the rear.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No wear indicators on the shoes. You may have a broken spring but in any event you just need to pull your wheels and drums. That should take about 10 minutes with a floor jack and an impact gun. If you don't have the tools take it to a brake shop for a free estimate. <G>
  5. brtt485

brtt485 Member

I have the tools and the ability to do it, it's just one of those things that is really bugging me while I sit at work wondering what the hell is wrong now that I just replaced the front hub assemblies and entire front brake system!
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's not unusual for a brake spring or other piece of hardware to break. Usually the brake shoes will outlast 2 sets of front pads before needing replacement. But, a dragging e brake or stuck adjuster can cause premature brake failure.
  7. brtt485

brtt485 Member

I appreciate it. I will take a quick look inside the drums when I get home. Hopefully it's somethign simple!
  8. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

My bad...... I must just be used to the 2500 HD's.

Cuz my '04 has discs all the way around.....
  9. brtt485

brtt485 Member

Stupid me for not checking. I have a buddy who has the same truck as I do and he has discs all the way around too. When I bought the truck I didnt bother to check on that and now I am stuck the less than desirable task of changing brake shoes!!!