Do brake shoes have a wear indicator???

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by brtt485, Jun 10, 2009.

1. brtt485

brtt485 New Member

So I was on my way to work this morning and I was sitting in traffic when I noticed that I was getting a quick high pitched noise at what seemed to be the same point in each rotation of the tire. My last pickup was a GMC and the wear indicator on the front pads created a very similar sound at a certain point in the wheel/tire rotation. However, the pads and rotors up front are about 3,000 miles old so I was wondering if the shoes had a wear indicator.

I have never come across a wear indicator on shoes in the past but...... It's a 2006 1500 LT Extended Cab 4x4 w/ the 5.3L.

It has about 70,000 and I havent changed the shoes yet. How many miles are you guys getting out of your rear shoes?

Any ideas on what I am hearing?

Thanks!
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

Does that not have discs on the back?
  3. brtt485

brtt485 New Member

I wish! Drums in the rear.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

No wear indicators on the shoes. You may have a broken spring but in any event you just need to pull your wheels and drums. That should take about 10 minutes with a floor jack and an impact gun. If you don't have the tools take it to a brake shop for a free estimate. <G>
  5. brtt485

brtt485 New Member

I have the tools and the ability to do it, it's just one of those things that is really bugging me while I sit at work wondering what the hell is wrong now that I just replaced the front hub assemblies and entire front brake system!
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

It's not unusual for a brake spring or other piece of hardware to break. Usually the brake shoes will outlast 2 sets of front pads before needing replacement. But, a dragging e brake or stuck adjuster can cause premature brake failure.
  7. brtt485

brtt485 New Member

I appreciate it. I will take a quick look inside the drums when I get home. Hopefully it's somethign simple!
  8. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

My bad...... I must just be used to the 2500 HD's.

Cuz my '04 has discs all the way around.....
  9. brtt485

brtt485 New Member

Stupid me for not checking. I have a buddy who has the same truck as I do and he has discs all the way around too. When I bought the truck I didnt bother to check on that and now I am stuck the less than desirable task of changing brake shoes!!!