1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do I have to get a new HU to add a amp and sub?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Falcone, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Falcone

Falcone New Member

Hey all, I'm just wondering if I have to get a new HU to add a jl w3v3 8" and a crap amp into my truck? I have a decent HU already out of my old sonoma but I actually like the stock dash/HU and wouldn't mind keeping it if It can simply be add'd on?

Its a 2010 Sierra EXT Cab, Nevada Edition.
  2. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 New Member

3. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What he ^^^ said!
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ditto above.... With just a sub added to the factory radio you should be fine..
  5. dobey

dobey Member

Also, PAC Audio makes some great stuff to connect into OEM systems. For my 04 Z71, I got http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=365&CategoryID=28 to give me RCA outs and a remote wire, without having to cut and splice the factory wiring. Just plug it in and go. They also have several similar things for the newer GM vehicles with CAN bus and GM-LAN. You might want to check them out.
  6. Falcone

Falcone New Member

So I would just need to run the power for the amp from the battery then? and splice into my rear speakers to get my audio signal?
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Or find a Hot lead tats turns on with the truck and don't forget to fuse the wire....
  8. redneck70

redneck70 Member

X2...... plus since this is directly out of the back of the deck you'll get a better signal then you would by splicing into the factory speaker wires.
  9. Falcone

Falcone New Member

so for that I would just plug that into the harness on the OEM deck, and I would still just need to find a place to send the power from the batt to the amp, and robert's your fathers brother?
  10. dobey

dobey Member

Pretty much, yes. It's a little box that plugs into the back of the radio, and the truck's harness plugs into it. And it gives you a remote and rca connections. On the one I got from PAC, I had to hook up the remote to the right wire in the harness, as it was left disconnected on the stereo side, as it is different on some years. But did not require altering the existing harness at all. Then you just have to run the remote and RCAs back to the amp, and the power and ground for the amp, and you're set, aside from tuning and hooking up the sub.