1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do I need an Amp and Sub?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 1flyfisher, Feb 17, 2010.

1. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I ordered a new vehicle with radio provisions only (No stereo) it comes with speakers, wiring harness, and antenna. I decided I will go with an Alpine system and for starters will just get the head unit which I have picked out. It will be the Alpine ida-X303 and I will play it through the factory speakers for now. Then I will add the Alpins SPS-600 speakers.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine ...Deck/9212318.p?id=1218059946001&skuId=9212318
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine ...air)/8699429.p?id=1199494646605&skuId=8699429
    Do I NEED an AMP and Sub? I am NOT into loud music at all. I like crisp clear sound and not BASS.
    I listen to Classic Rock, Classical, and Jazz, (I'm 48). Pretty much everything that is good, No bublegum pop, rap, or hip hop.
    Do you think a head unit and good speakers is enough for my needs?
  2. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That setup sounds good to me. Though I'm a bass adict my friend isn't, and her Acura Integra sounds really good with just a head unit replacement and no subwoofer
  3. lsutoms

lsutoms Rockstar 100 Posts

you should be more than pleased with that! i am a bass addict it can never be loud enough but if thats not what your looking for then this should be good! and if you decide that you would like a little bit more bass than what this system is offering you can always put a small 6.5" or 8" sub in afterward its not a problem but you should be fine!
  4. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

That system should be great for your application... No sub or amp needed...
  5. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Good
    I have a bunch of other stuff I need to do and pay for and I would rather not have to spend $1000+ on a car stereo setup. I'll get that head unit and run the factory speakers for a few months and then get those alpine speakers at some point. I like crisp clear sound. I like hearing the cymbals and wind instruments clearly and such. I have cranked the stereo for years and hurt my ears and hearing. No more. I learned my lesson. I'm 48 and don't want any more hearing loss. Normal bass is fine I am old school and listen to rock and not boom boom music and loud bass like you young kids.

I have to buy a carpet This is an AWD 2010 GMC Savana cargo van that I am customizing for camping/flyfishing/hauling my kayak. I have a floor carpet for the cargo area $170 and a nice berber carpet $120 for the front to buy. A paneling kit$600, insulation, I am having slider windows installed $800, and I want new offroad wheels and tires which will be close to $1800+?