Do I need an Amp and Sub?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 1flyfisher, Feb 17, 2010.

1. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I ordered a new vehicle with radio provisions only (No stereo) it comes with speakers, wiring harness, and antenna. I decided I will go with an Alpine system and for starters will just get the head unit which I have picked out. It will be the Alpine ida-X303 and I will play it through the factory speakers for now. Then I will add the Alpins SPS-600 speakers.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine ...Deck/9212318.p?id=1218059946001&skuId=9212318
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine ...air)/8699429.p?id=1199494646605&skuId=8699429
    Do I NEED an AMP and Sub? I am NOT into loud music at all. I like crisp clear sound and not BASS.
    I listen to Classic Rock, Classical, and Jazz, (I'm 48). Pretty much everything that is good, No bublegum pop, rap, or hip hop.
    Do you think a head unit and good speakers is enough for my needs?

2. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That setup sounds good to me. Though I'm a bass adict my friend isn't, and her Acura Integra sounds really good with just a head unit replacement and no subwoofer

3. lsutoms

lsutoms Rockstar 100 Posts

you should be more than pleased with that! i am a bass addict it can never be loud enough but if thats not what your looking for then this should be good! and if you decide that you would like a little bit more bass than what this system is offering you can always put a small 6.5" or 8" sub in afterward its not a problem but you should be fine!

4. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

That system should be great for your application... No sub or amp needed...

5. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Good
    I have a bunch of other stuff I need to do and pay for and I would rather not have to spend $1000+ on a car stereo setup. I'll get that head unit and run the factory speakers for a few months and then get those alpine speakers at some point. I like crisp clear sound. I like hearing the cymbals and wind instruments clearly and such. I have cranked the stereo for years and hurt my ears and hearing. No more. I learned my lesson. I'm 48 and don't want any more hearing loss. Normal bass is fine I am old school and listen to rock and not boom boom music and loud bass like you young kids.

I have to buy a carpet This is an AWD 2010 GMC Savana cargo van that I am customizing for camping/flyfishing/hauling my kayak. I have a floor carpet for the cargo area $170 and a nice berber carpet $120 for the front to buy. A paneling kit$600, insulation, I am having slider windows installed $800, and I want new offroad wheels and tires which will be close to $1800+?