GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Do I need to remove half-shaft to replace upper ball joint?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Big6ft6, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Big6ft6

Big6ft6 New Member

So, I've read posts and looked at my haynes manual and none of the instructions mentions removing the half-shaft (front drive shaft) to access the castle nut for the upper ball joint. But once I got out in the snowy driveway, took the wheel off and took a peak, i see no way to get that nut off without removing the half-shaft. Am I right or am I missing a trick for accessing that castle nut without removing the half-shaft?

[​IMG]
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

One reason that particular nut has a cotter pin on it is because it shouldnt be real tight, (book calls for torqing to a certain amount then backing off a half or quarter turn) normally you can get either a box end or open end wrench on it and turn, yours on the other hand looks like it's probably rusted on and will require an impact gun or something equally creative to get off, which will probably mean removing the halfshaft to get enough clearance.
  3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

yep, that one looks pretty rusty. a box end and a cheater pipe might work if you soak in in some pb blaster for a bit.

Alex
  4. Big6ft6

Big6ft6 New Member

Thanks guys...good to know it is theoretically possible, and good to know it shouldn't have been torqued down too hard...I will soak with PB for a few days and see if i can make ti work! I'll post results.
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

no problem, good luck!

Alex
  6. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

There should be plenty of clearance to get a box-end wrench on it. Cutting torch works too, just put a wet rag over the CV boot to protect it.

Then it's going to take a pickle fork, 16 pound sledge, and some language to get the ball joint off.