1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do I really need this expensive adapter cable?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ibmoses, Jun 16, 2010.

1. ibmoses

ibmoses Rockstar 100 Posts

I could care less about the annoying chime that sounds when the door is open...
    Crutchfield wants to sell me one of these:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=120GMRC01
    Do I really need this or will it cause a problem if I dont use one of these adapter cables when I install a new head unit.

Bert
  2. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

No. You don't need it, but I would recomend it. I think skosche(?) has an adapter for pretty cheap. You would be able to find that harness cheaper on eBay or a place like that.
  3. ibmoses

ibmoses Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the reply, its half price when bought with a radio...so I guess I should get it. It might keep me from locking the keys in the truck at a most inopportune time.

Bert
  4. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I didnt get it....I lost the following chimes:

Seat belt
    Door
    Turn Signal click
    Keys in ignition

The only one that I miss is the turn signal clicker...sometimes when the turn signal hasnt clicked itself off(like merging on to a freeway) I dont realize its still on til the message "turn signal is on" appears where the odometer is.

If you have keyless entry and or factory alarm you probably never lock your keys in the car as you use your remote to lock the vehicle.
  5. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I bought one from Crutchfield for my '03 Av, and it worked for about 5 hours then it blew... So I just direct wired it. The only thing I have to do was run an ignition switch wire from the fuse box to the head unit... I'm like you, i could care less for the warning chimes... LoL
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On one of the older threads, I couldnt tell ya which one, the poster had a problem passing the state safety inspection because the chimes no longer worked after a stereo upgrade.
    If I remember correctly it was New York state, I doubt thats a problem in Alabama but something to keep in mind.
  7. grrr...

grrr... Rockstar 100 Posts

wow, this is WAY offtopic, but I didn't realize that racecar backwards is racecar. Love the sig! :great: