1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do I still have air in master cyl/combination valve??

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by BG1, Oct 18, 2009.

1. BG1

BG1 New Member

I have a 1990 1/2 ton Chevy truck and the brakes have always been a problem so I thought I would change out the bleeder valves to the Russell Speed bleeders so I could bleed them by myself and to see if I could get them to work better I also replaced the rubber brake hoses because I have heard that these can cause poor brakes. I got it back together and bled the brakes a couple of times until I saw no air (I did not bench bleed the master) and the the brakes are very poor. I have some brakes when I back up but when going forward there are very little brakes. I did remove the master cylinder, dump the fluid and cleaned the reservoir. Does it sound like air trapped in the master cylinder/combination valve? The ABS has been removed.
  2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How are you bleeding them? I would also consider bench bleeding the MC if it was pumped while there was little or no fluid in it.
  3. BG1

BG1 New Member

I installed the Russell Speed bleeders that have a check valve and bled them at each wheel starting at the right rear and the master cylinder was not pumped while it was off at least I do not remember pumping it. But something is not working like it should be.