1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do K&N cold air kits actually do anything on a Silverado?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Nov 29, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Do K&N cold air kits actually do anything on a Silverado?

I had a cold air kit on my 2008 Silverado, but after getting my 2013 I decided on not getting one but instead just got K&N drop in replacement filter.

It looks like on the Silverado that the K&N cold air intake uses a similar intake location as the stock setup uses. Is it that the cone shaped filter is a better design?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

After looking around, it looks like getting an Airaid MIT (Modular Intake Tube) is a good choice.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I agree stchman, IMO, the factory setup is a CAI. K and N might provide a little less restriction and a better intake tube is a good choice. Which brings up a question, there are sound baffles in the factory tube, do the streamlined tubes produce additional wind noise?
  3. stchman

Yes, when I had a K&N CAI kit on my 2008 Silverado, I did notice a louder sucking sound coming from under the hood. Apparently the resonator chambers in the stock tube are designed to muffle the sound. The muffling of the sound does appear to create some restrictions in the air flow.

Indeed the factory setup does appear to be a CAI type. The CAI for the Silverado from K&N runs about $240. A drop in K&N filter is $40 while a stright tube is ~$120. You can save $80 or so by going this route.

Now the cone shaped air filter that comes with the K&N kit does have quite a bit more surface area and is probably a better filter than the drop in filter, but I cannot substantiate this.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a Volant CAI (and scoop) because I bought my truck used and it came with an Outlaw CAI (no longer made). After years of apparent service the special Outlaw filter fell apart and could not be replaced. Thus, I tossed a Volant under the hood because I needed a more standardized air box and liked how it looked and sounded in [MENTION=40941]aloxdaddy99[/MENTION]'s truck.

That said, if I had never had the Outlaw or the Volant (i.e. if my stock air box was what was in the truck when I bought it), I'd have removed the stock airbox, cut the bottom out of it, placed it back in the vehicle and called it 'done'. I know [MENTION=40941]aloxdaddy99[/MENTION] espouses this, too ... and he's running a Volant, as well.

That's nothing bad to say about Volant -- we like how our Volants look and sound. Rather, it's both of us trying to tell people that CAI's promise the world ... and do very little aside from alter the way things sound for the money you spend on them. You might see a few extra ponies at WOT by using a CAI ... but you can probably get most or all of those ponies for free by cutting the bottom out of the OEM air box and calling it 'done'. :)
  5. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Surrealone:. What is WOT?? Thanks....Brian from Canada
  6. RayVoy

Wide Open Throttle..............Ray, from Canada, hahahahaha
  7. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

that's hilarious..thanks, I think :lol:.....any snow down there??
    Brian from Ontario
  8. RayVoy

Haha, nope, not yep, long range is calling for a little next week, only 1/2 cent, or so, won't last. A little cold this week, looking for some + temps next week.
  9. stchman

I ended up buying the Airaid MIT. I had to pay $113 shipped for what was essentially a long black plastic tube, but it was the best price I could find. I got it at:

http://www.4wheelonline.com/

If anything it will sound better during WOT.
  10. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

If you're thinking it gives you more power over the stock set up, it does NOT.